WA Eviction of Tenant with Only a Verbal Agreement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pete pan

2 January 2017
Ok, this is just purely for information purposes due to reading a lot of tenancy posts and it got me wondering about it.

If I had moved into a house but without a written agreement and no rent was paid and I lived at the house for quite some time. There was no time limit of me staying there, but say, I improved the house and property considerably. Then one day, you get a knock at the door and the owner says, "you must be out today" but then you refuse as can't move out as you have a whole house full of furniture and you haven't been given notice. They can't just kick me out after I've done so much to improve and better the house and the property.

So they say, "OK, you can stay, but I'll be back in 3 days." But then, when they came back on that day, they knock and ask you to leave and again you tell them the same thing and they say OK and leave. Then police come the next day and arrest you to make you leave,

Are these verbal arrangements of allowing the person to stay at the house a verbal contract tenancy agreement with no set end date, even though no money was paid for rent? Also would the tenant be eligible for compensation for the money spent on the house because had they known it would come to an abrupt end, they would not have spent on the house?

Is it a verbal contract tenancy agreement, even though no cash was paid for rent, as none were asked? Does a normal eviction process need to be adhered to?

Can a compensation suit be filed for compensation if the tenant were not allowed to return to get their stuff?

And what should be done in a situation like this and what rights and responsibilities and everything do either party have in regards to the premises and the tenants property inside?

Thanks in advance

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Are these verbal arrangements of allowing the person to stay at the house a verbal contract tenancy agreement with no set end date, even though no money was paid for rent?

Possibly. Will depend on the wording of the verbal agreement.

Does a normal eviction process need to be adhered to?

Depends. See above answer.

Can a compensation suit be filed for compensation if the tenant were not allowed to return to get their stuff?

Quite likely yes.

And what should be done in a situation like this and what rights and responsibilities and everything do either party have in regards to the premises and the tenants property inside?

Take a case to SAT claiming unfair eviction under a tenancy agreement or see a lawyer.

Reactions: Pete pan

Pete pan

2 January 2017
And what if in another situation, let's say an abandoned house or seemingly abandoned house and/or property and sqautters moved in, fixed the place up, made livable and become apart of the town or suburb. And then say, 1-3 years after being abandoned and 1 year since the sqautters took over but made an eye sore as good as the rest of the town or suburb, then the owner appeared and wants the sqautters out. The sqautters say no and the owner says, "OK. you can stay for another week, but I'll be back and we will talk."

A week later, the owner comes back and says, "OK, move out today." And the sqautters refuse.

Are there such things as sqautters rights in these situations?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Squatters can accrue rights over time in the discussions and agreements they have with the property owner.

The detail of the agreements say how many rights are acquired by the squatter.

Any improvements done without agreement at done at the renovator's risk.

Reactions: Pete pan

Pete pan

2 January 2017
I always thought squatters rights were just a made up thing that I heard about sometimes is there some website that would have more info on this it seems perculiar and interesting I wouldnt mind reading a bit on it