QLD Eviction Notice and on Financial Hardship - What are My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dwayne Harry

13 November 2015
Until recently, I was residing in Supported Accommodation due to a long term illness.

As I have had many legal battles happening behind the scenes, I have recently experienced some financial hardship which caused me to fall behind in my rent by 2 weeks. I provided prior notice that I forecasted some financial difficulty on a once off short term basis and would ensure that my rent was paid in full in the coming days. I currently receive a disability pension.

I had been a resident for 14 months without any prior concerns, either financially, health and safety or behavioural. Staff had always approached myself for assistance in many areas of which I was always obliging.

I have cleaned and painted the kitchen, dining room and a number of bedrooms. I have undertaken and completed many maintenance tasks within the facility and have neither asked for or received any financial reward.

Upon falling behind in my rent, I was treated appallingly and threatened that my personal belongings would be thrown out on the street and that I would be evicted. This caused myself much anxiety and stress as I have no money and nowhere to go.

As I was extremely concerned, Iodged a complaint with the Department of Disability Services and requested confirmation as to my rights as a tenant. The department contacted the Manager of the facility with regards to my enquiries and as a consequence I was given 4 hours notice to pack up my belongings and leave the premises.

I have ended up sleeping in parks, not eating or being able to bath. I have no medication that I took on a daily basis. I am currently homeless and have absolutely no money. I am also very, very scared.

Can somebody please tell me if I have committed some sort of crime to be treated in this manner? Don't I have any legal rights?

What sort of precedent is this setting. If you have a disability, just shut up and put up!

Obviously the value of a persons health and safety has severely diminished.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Check back with the Department of Disability Services.

I'm not sure what legal status you had with the accommodation provider so I can't provide any clues as to whether they illegally evicted you.

Next time you do work for someone, recommend get payment or do it for barter in advance (eg 2 weeks rent free).