NSW Domestic violence police charges

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jaxemjay

11 June 2019
NSW
Partner has following charges going through court for domestic violence. He has had a few previous issues 15years ago and was given 200hours community service for this.
Would the following charges put on by the police be looking at jail time? How much time? Could a good lawyer get him off jail time?

Assault occasioning actual bodily harm
Common Assault
Armed with intent commit indictable offence
Intimidation
Wilfully obstruct officer in execution of duty

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
He should engage a lawyer regardless. He may be able to get some of the charges dropped if he pleads guilty to one or more others. In addition to that, if the two assault charges relate to the same incident, there could also be an issue of duplicitity.

Mrmark

4 July 2019
Hi
Australia has a very tough stance on domestic violence. The police aim to put accused people in jail regardless of if they are innocent. Often the presumption of innocence is not upheld. I would strongly suggest seeking criminal lawyers as the accused has prior history, Doogue and George is an exceptional Melbourne criminal law firm that has dealt with similar assault cases.

I hope I was able to help
Melbourne, Australia

Reactions: jaxemjay

Dave2024

20 December 2023
Hi
Australia has a very tough stance on domestic violence. The police aim to put accused people in jail regardless of if they are innocent. Often the presumption of innocence is not upheld. I would strongly suggest seeking criminal lawyers as the accused has prior history, Doogue and George is an exceptional Melbourne criminal law firm that has dealt with similar assault cases.

I hope I was able to help
Melbourne, Australia
I just experienced this do you know or can elaborate on how we do t have a write to phone calls or lawyers etc only attempt and police can tell you they didn’t answer or even they answered and didn’t want to speak to you and it’s one persons word against another’s…… I got out proving exceptional circumstances but couldn’t speak to anyone till my hearing date came up and I was taken to video link in jail. They don’t listen to your story or take anything u say serious they alledge or put to you a scenario and create charges and a brief documenting the protected persons version of events then informant has a pour choice of words honest mistakes the whole works and turns it into something grouse. We were living owning property 3 kids 15 years and the informant said we had previously dated haha

Hellomyonlyfriend

15 August 2022
Never speak to police personally if charged. They are not your friend. All they care about is getting a conviction, not the truth. Police and witnesses are prima facie allowed to lie in court and most magistrates facilitate this. Some may say police (or their systems in place) are evil and suffer from power mongering and superiority complex. Taking on the resource rich NSW police force is the definition of masochism.

Dave2024

20 December 2023
Allowed to lie? They are trying to not let me goto trial with dury I haven’t said anything to them yet and won’t till their witnesses are in the stands but legal advice is even tho it’s indictable becuase legal aid did some hearing and judge said I won’t goto jail or get any corrections orders etc I can’t get a jury is this true or my lawyer is just wanting it over. My dads power of attorney as I was in jail and they had arranged some deal guilty no convictions and I haven’t even told my lawyer what’s going on yet I’m baffled to be honest at this whole situation and over use of powers.

They made mistakes entering my phone numbers in jail that many times honest mistakes they were but paper work takes days to get things setup when your new in jail. Like they couldn’t on purpose get a number wrong in every number I entered on purpose at the jail also they are that ridiculously corrupt?

Really struggling as I can’t access our money from sale of the house to foot legal fees, can’t face my accusers becuase by default they are protected. I wonder what’s gonna happen when I refuse legal aid and want to interogate her when if I ever speak with my lawyer and I can’t pay. I thought this was international law right to face your accusers and innocent till proven guilty criminal yes but civil you have to prove your innonces legal aid told me complicated systems…. How can they throw off from one to the other to create this do what ever we want when we want power to police here. A spade is a spade criminal or civil the system needs to be scraped and started over it’s out of control.

I was yelling cause I have a temper kids heard it first time ever this has happened where kids were there and bang. Tried to have her charged for punching and kicking me but it was over 12 months ago they can’t peruse it. Real violence can’t charge, emotionally unstable person calls yelling violence and bang. I think actually becuase she said she was scared she wasn’t scared I’ve never touched her in 15 years or even raised a hand or threatened her. But I did test the safety switches were working before I left and the power went out, maybe that scared em I dunno. God forbid come summer the power companies start switching off grids I’m gonna have to have them charged.

Wasn’t even at her i was yelling at it was my dad telling him to f**k off stay out my bussiness and the informant wrote my dad came after I left lol she also in the signed statement refers to a witness as my ex’s sister then again as her aunty. Like can u question their credibility when they don’t have the capacity to get simple facts right in a report that’s going before the judge. Dad will be a witness and answer this but I don’t know how to make it serious enough unless I breach is that the only option now? Proper stitch up I feel so persecuted and boarderline been mentally tortured and treated inhumanly becuase I wouldn’t answer their questions exercising my right to remain silent and then getting to the point of having to say smart ass comment cuase they read u ur rights then when u don’t speak yell and scream at me way worse than I did at dad but it’s not violence cause we aren’t fmaily no criminal crime there I’m told. It’s been an eye opener. Sorry need to get this out and maybe someone can offer advice. I’ve quit my job so I can get a legal aid grant and hopefully find a lawyer no way will I use legal aid again I won’t go there online what the duty lawyer told me and what my current lawyers told me about this if true but my dads a witness again he told me to do what she says there’s no other option consent to to order no admissions again she never heard my side of story yet only seen the brief of lies….