Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Criminal Offence to Make False Domestic Violence Claims to Police?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Steve500, 27 May 2015.

1. Steve500

Steve500 Well-Known Member

Generally speaking is it a criminal offence to lie to Police about someone or make a false abuse claim against someone? e.g. In domestic violence disputes if say husband/wife or family members have a verbal argument, and 1 party makes a false/or exaggerated claim of abuse e.g. for financial gain, is making false abuse claims a criminal offence in the crimes Act. I thought It would be, and does it carry jail time?
    I'd also imagine the one who suffers false abuse claims, could also file a civil suit of defamation against the party who lied about them.

2. Do I need a Lawyer

Do I need a Lawyer Well-Known Member

Yes it is an offence to lie to the police in relation to a complaint. Exaggeration happens all the time and is not necessarily an offence.

Defamation is a separate issue. Generally speaking a false complaint to the police would not lead to a defamation action.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...