Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Dogs in Car Unattended - Police said Illegal?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by lottie, 6 April 2015.

Tags:
  1. lottie

lottie Member

Hi, can anyone help me find the relevant law/s relating to dogs or pets in cars? I left my dog unattended in my car for five minutes and the police came and said it was illegal. I had given the dog food and water and it had a snack to chew on. All the windows (4) were down 10cm. I can't seem to find which law they were referring to. The only ones i can find are about rules when driving, not when the car is parked. Any help gratefully received! thanks

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

As far as I am aware, it is not "illegal" per se but strongly recommended by RSPCA, Sydney City Council, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

In NSW, the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 provides for a general prohibition on acts of cruelty towards animals.

Leaving an animal in a vehicle (food and water present or not)
    in circumstances where it can be exposed to excessive heat*
    can certainly give rise to this offence.

You can find some non-legal information from the RSPCA here.

--------------------------------------
    * The interior of a car can heat up very quickly indeed (in something like six minutes), and be many degrees hotter than the temperature outside.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...