QLD Pets Issue - Neighbours Dog Killed My Guinea Pig

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vera g

19 April 2015
Hello. As a result of my neighbour's negligence to close their backyard gate this Saturday, their adult rotweiler was roaming around all night in my neighbourhood. At approx 5:30am, it broke into my house backyard, tore my guinea pig's cage apart and killed my guinea pig before running away. We found him lying on the ground dead next to my neighbour's car and couldn't find the dog. I have had extensive mental health issues for more than 3 years now suffering from depression, anger issues, anorexia and self harm and after what has happened I cannot function properly; I have so much pain and cannot stop crying over my dead pet. I also have immense anger for the owners and the dog, and haven't eaten for the last few days. My mental illnesses are highened again and I cannot even sleep at night, do my uni assignments or go to work without crying.

The animal services have taken the dog away and the owner is "sorry" but I'm wondering if there's any way I could proceed this further into a legal matter? I now have to pay for my psychologist, plus our $300 cage was also broken.

Please help as I really want to know if I can do anything more.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Vera,

I am sorry to hear about your distress.

Is the above issue ongoing?

To be frank, I think it would be difficult for you to claim damages against the owner of the dog. This is because you would have to attribute your psychological disorders to the specific events that happened and to the actions of the dog's owner. Because you have conceded that you have already suffered from mental illness for the last three years, I don't think you would have a good chance of showing this.