WA Does anyone get charged with Perjury in Family court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anonanon

29 November 2021
If someone makes extreme and provably false accusations in family court are they likely to be punished criminally?

sammy01

27 September 2015
nope- never. Bloody madness. But once you're totally caught out then your credibility becomes a problem.

Parents who want to make accusations of child abuse when there isn't any often find themselves losing their kids

Reactions: Anonanon

Atticus

6 February 2019
If someone makes extreme and provably false accusations in family court are they likely to be punished criminally?
From family court proceedings? ... Rarely.

If the judge in a family court proceeding is of the opinion that perjury has been committed, they can refer it to the AFP for investigation or the DPP ... where it goes from there is up to them.

Reactions: Anonanon

Anonanon

29 November 2021
Even when the false allegations seperate a child from their parent?

In my situation it is my child’s grandmother who has used false allegations to gain custody, I am alleging child stealing amongst many other things.

I can’t underestimate the severity, multiple attempts to have me imprisoned with lies.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Check this case out.... Mum accuses dad of sexually abusing the kids and committing domestic violence towards her... None of it is substantiated... Dad winds up with 5 nights a fortnight and half the holidays.

It isn't a bad result for the dad... (sadly). But mum remains primary carer of the kids even though the judge notes "Where significant concerns are held about the mother’s psychological functioning on the basis of her lack of insight into risks posed by her partner towards her and the children, as well as certain vulnerabilities that appear to affect her judgement and actions in relation to the children – Where Court accepts expert’s opinion that issues with mother’s psychological functioning present a risk to children – "
So, sadly, no... Madness, but that is the system, so learn lots and realise pushing this angle isn't gonna get you anywhere. Hey, I don't like my advice either...

Reactions: Dpj and Anonanon

Anonanon

29 November 2021
I love your advice,

I’m not pushing this angle to win, I’m considering if there is any actual value in proceeding my case against such adverse individuals.

I don’t want to continue, it is almost a certainty of having future false allegations made against me in the event I gain any custody.

Anonanon

29 November 2021
Skimming that case, it’s a reasonable outcome if not for the mothers partner who clearly has a unusual connection with the eldest daughter.

Madness.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope it is a crap outcome. In my world a parent that wants to make that sorta crap up should never see their kids again. But, look, it does go to show that mud doesn't stick and the accusation damaged mum's case, but probably didn't help dad's case all that much

Anonanon

29 November 2021
It’s a matter of children’s best interest. There was no demonstration that the mud greatly affected the children’s well-being now or in future.

That’s were my case differs in that the accuser in my situation has been found to be emotionally abusive (other). And that the abuse stems from a probable delusional disorder which is likely to continue.

sammy01

27 September 2015
what are you looking to achieve? Sole parental responsibility? primary care? 50/50 care? mum to have supervised visits only?