WA Dodgy Paint Job - New House

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Emma Clothier, 25 August 2018.

  1. Emma Clothier

    Emma Clothier Member

    25 August 2018
    Likes Received:
    Hi everyone,

    I hope someone here can help us out with some advice. We have recently built a new home. We had our house painted (paid a 35% deposit) and the paint job is tertible. Scrapes and dents haven't been filled, there are sandy patches and clumpy bits. We have contacted the painters who have reluctantly agreed to come back and fix the issues. Their poor attitude and poor workmanship has me worried. Where do we stand if they do not fix the defects satisfactorily? If we refuse to pay, can they send debt collectors? Who can we contact - building commission, ACCC?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Paul Cott

    Paul Cott Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified

    26 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Emma, VCAT if you are in Victoria (or your state may gave an equivalent) may be able to help you out with a claim to them. You may be entitled to reimbursement by the painters of the cost of you getting in new painters to fix the botched job, including getting a reduction of some amount from the price for the original job. Good luck.

Share This Page