NSW Do I have to answer police questions when pulled over?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

markjohn68

10 April 2020
It used to be that the police could only ask your name and address, and you had to produce your drivers license (per link below). Now they can interrogate you about where you're going, why you're going there, who you're traveling with, and who you're going to see. How come?

If you refuse to answer their questions, I wonder if the resulting fine would hold up in court? Are there emergency laws in place? Curious.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Last edited:

Atticus

6 February 2019
Are there emergency laws in place?
Hmmm.. Unless you have literally just crawled out from under a rock in the wilderness, I don't think the ignorance card is going to work .... Tim is right. Check out the link

markjohn68

10 April 2020
Hmmm.. Unless you have literally just crawled out from under a rock in the wilderness, I don't think the ignorance card is going to work .... Tim is right. Check out the link
That wasn't my point at all. And so our personal liberties are erased with the stroke of a politician's pen...

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
That wasn't my point at all. And so our personal liberties are erased with the stroke of a politician's pen...
We knew what you were getting at.
And you sort of correct. Sort of.
But maybe not in the way you might think.

While some human right in Australia have a statutory basis,
in Australia, many human rights only exist to the extent
that there is no law in effect regulating them regulating or limiting them.
And, subject to any law that does, such as above order.

Even so, it's not politician's unfettered whimsy.
It's more complicated than that.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'm taking it as a given that you're talking about Corona virus.

The countries that espouse citizen's rights above the collective good are the ones with the biggest death toll. Italy, USA and Spain all have smaller populations than China. They all had more time to prepare for this BUT they all have lost more lives than China or South Korea.

Ordinarily - Name, address and providing driver licence. These are not ordinary times. Our desire for individual freedoms is killing people. Stay at home.