NT Traffic Law - Pulled Over for Driving in the Right Lane?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Denno

28 June 2017
Hi,

I was pulled over for driving in the right lane. I was online in the right lane of 3 that led into 2 lanes as I was trying to overtake a slow driving taxi. The taxi decided to speed up then he slowed down again preventing me from overtaking. I maintained the 100km speed limit and the taxi continued to drive at an inconsistent speed. I sped up to about 106km to try overtake again as he had slowed down again below the speed limit.

As this was all happening I never went below the speed limit and actually averaged a speed above the limit. I had noticed a car that was well behind me was now sitting sitting up my ass obviously wanting to pass. This car was definitely speeding to catch us so I knew I should move over once I got past this taxi.

Once again when I was closing in on the taxi he/she accelerated pulling away from me at an approx speed of 107km. This when the car behind me turned on his emergency lights to my surprise. In the car with me was my father in the front passenger seat and my wife in the right rear passenger. We all thought the taxi was being pulled over for speeding so I slowed down and pulled to the left lane which was now only 2 lanes. To my and my passengers surprise the police car followed me so I pulled over when it was safe to do so.

The police officer approached my window and asked why I was driving in the right lane. He was clearly pissed off by my sitting in the right lane as his tone and facial impression were not friendly. I tried to explain it was because of the taxis inconsistent speed. I explained that I didn't actually know it was an actual offence. He wasn't happy with response and he got my id and went back to his car. A few minutes later he came back with my id and a card mumbled something and left. I thought I got a warning but after closer inspection found he fined me $90.

I don't agree with being stopped or fined at all for this. Should I fight this under Traffic Law and how do I get the video or audio he may have from the stop including dash cam?

Thanks for your time.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You've got nothing.
Pay the find and move on with your life.

Reactions: Eddiej