Undercover drug police called me while driving then pulled me over for speeding

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

gtoco0850

8 May 2017
Hi guys,

a few days ago i was travelling down motorway of speed limit 90km/h. I suspect i was travelling at around 120-130km/h for no more than a few minutes because it was an empty stretch of road. Out of nowhere, I receive a phone call from an unknown number. I answered to the voice of an angry man who identified my name and vehicle and asked whether i was travelling on this specific motorway. He did not identify himself by name or as a police officer, and i panicked and said that I was driving the car. He then very abrasively told me to slow down and told me he had been following me for the last 50km and filmed me driving at speeds over 150km/h (i definitely could nt have been driving at this speed). He angrily cut off the phone and then an unmarked police vehicle flashed its blue lights behind me and pulled me over. 2 undercover cops came out and identified themselves as part of the drug squad. Only one showed me a badge and stated his name. One detective came to each of the front windows and one of them asked me to present my licence. The other took it away to the car and one remained behind, asking me to collect any valuables as they are taking me to the police station. I began panicking and asked if i was able to contact my parents (i am a young female and was driving alone at night, i've never had a traffic offence in my whole life so i was panicking extremely). They denied me a phone call and said i could make a call at the police station. They said they were not authorised to take me in their undercover vehicle so they were waiting for the police cage to come and collect me. While one officer took my license, the other remained at my window and continued to taunt me for another 15 minutes. He told me that the last time he pulled someone over for this speed, they received 9 months in jail and i would be lucky if i even received that. He said exactly 'I can really ruin your life. we will notify your university and employers' and that 'It will be many years before you ever receive your license again'. At this stage, i'm hysterically crying and so overwhelmed and they begin asking me what is in the bags in my backseat (which is just my clothes and uni work as I was travelling home for the weekend). I also tried to send my dad a text message to let him know what was going on, and one of the detectives yelled for me to not touch my phone and that he would have to take this further if i did not cooperate.

After about 30 minutes parked on the side of the road, they told me to leave and that if i was ever found speeding again that would be the end of my license indefinitely. One detective told me he would give me a call in a few days after he 'had a think about what he wanted to do' and i have been too scared to even look at my phone since.

I drove home that night sobbing and shaking form this experience. I have never felt so disrespected and violated in my entire life. Till now i'm having trouble even sleeping.

My question is, what authority does an undercover drug cop have in the context of traffic offences and should i be expecting a phone call or fine? He did not issue me anything on the spot but said he had 'video proof' of me speeding.

Sorry for the excessively long post!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The police, being any sworn police officers, have the right to pull over speeding drivers.

Now you have to ask yourself whether an undercover drug officer is likely to want to do the paperwork for a speeding ticket or be content with a stern warning.

Think you'd be unlucky if you got a ticket.

Learn your lesson about not speeding, relax, answer your phone normally, and see this an educational experience, albeit an unpleasant one, and not one you want to repeat.

Reactions: gtoco0850

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi gtoco0850,
Yeah, a cop is a cop and can do you for traffic offences.

The aggression and abuse is to try to bait you...to get something else they can use...
Swearing, disobeying their instructions....etc

He said you can't contact your dad...had he said "you are under arrest"?

He said he can ruin your life and tell your uni or your employer...ok, well that's misconduct...

He didn't identify himself...I wonder why.

Didn't want you touching your phone to text...you might start recording...they really don't like being recorded.

Give you a call in a few days?...yeah, well that serves 2 purposes....makes you feel bad for several days, and if work is slow, they might need to chase you up for an arrest...they have to meet arrest targets...but I'm guessing they wanted to get back to clock off at the end of their shift so they let you go.

It's not uncommon.

Riders claim entrapment

Queensland police officer who pulled gun on couple near Longreach fined $1,500 - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Sorry you had to go thru this...at least now you know...

Regards
Gorodetsky

Jermy

30 March 2015
hi, Reading the above , it does not seem to me that they are real cops.
For your question, as stated above, a cop is a cop, drug police, is a police officer then a drug police officer. Although there main aim is deal with drug situations but driving above speed limit may harm or kill others (including yourself) so they can pull you over. But the way it went and the what they said, seems to me that guys are doing a prank. I think it is but I may be wrong. I am not a lawyer or an police officer. But I think the best way to deal with it is to call the police by phone and ask for information and do state that you want to stay unknown. If the matter escalates, you may need to report it, as it i suspect that they were not real officers.
This is my thoughts and not from a police or lawyer knowledge. If someone from the police reads this, they may give more accurate info.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
It's spooky, but Jeremy is correct. It doesn't sound like they were real cops....and if they were, they are a disgrace to their badges and maybe Ethical Standards should be contacted.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Jermy, ozwarlock,

How did they get her number if they didn't look it up from the car registration?

She said "Only one showed me a badge and stated his name"....

Fake badge? I don't think so.

Your basis for suggesting they were impersonating cops is....they were unprofessional, abusive and didn't do their job properly?....Sounds like the real thing.

Regards
Gorodetsky

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL

Jermy

30 March 2015
Jermy, ozwarlock,

How did they get her number if they didn't look it up from the car registration?

She said "Only one showed me a badge and stated his name"....

Fake badge? I don't think so.

Your basis for suggesting they were impersonating cops is....they were unprofessional, abusive and didn't do their job properly?....Sounds like the real thing.

Regards
Gorodetsky

without knowing that person's life, it could be some prank from someone who knows the phone number or someone wants revenge, there are million reasons. The way it went does not indicate they were real cops. As I said, this is what i think only.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
I think you may be right. A bitter ex who set it all up? How else would they have known her phone number?
On the other side of the coin, some drug squad cops act as though to a law unto themselves. A lone motorist on an empty road would be fair game.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi ozwarlock, Jermy,

Have you heard of the law of parsimony or Occam's razor?

Regards
Gorodetsky