QLD Custody of Children for 13-Year-Old Sibling?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Why child services, with the amount times they have been involved, have allowed to the stay in their custody astounds me.

This is a tough one to answer and there is no simple answer as to what is better for the child and what is better for society. All you can do now is try to help as best you can. You are getting different opinions here and hope it helps you think about what is best in your situation.

Until your mother contacts the authorities about a missing daughter there is no problem. You would know better than us if she is likely to do so. Even then you are unlikely to get into trouble as the police would seemingly understand the background.

Keedan Punch

5 February 2017
I have just had a sit down with her now and asked her it is she wants to do.

She has told me and I also recorded it, that she would to try and live with me. If she doesn't like it better than where she is living she wants to go back. I will now try and use the recording to help the situation. If that can help.

MartyK

4 June 2016
Let us know how you go with it all Keedan. At the foundation of all of our different perspectives and ideas, we do all agree with you that your sister's safety is important.

Keedan Punch

5 February 2017
Hello,

I have now spoken to Child Services and a Solicitor. They have both informed me that I am not breaking the law by keeping her here. Child Services has told me that they will update her address to mine and that they will call me if she is under a Child Protection Order.

If I don't hear back within a week, that she is not and I am fine to keep her. I will need to apply for legal guardianship. If she is under a CPO, they will access my living environment and either approve or deny my request for her to live here.

They Solicitor has informed me also that we will need to mediate with her mother, which will be difficult as I am now in the process of finding exactly where she is living so the police can be informed and she can be apprehended.

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Thank you for update, good to hear at least the start of the process is working out.

I am concerned by your comment that the 13 year old thinks drugs are part of a normal life and whether this will create problems for you over the next few years as you attempt to move her perceptions of what is 'normal'.

Keedan Punch

5 February 2017
Hi Rod,

I should have better worded what I said.

She thinks having drug addicts and dealers around her is normal. She also thinks that her mother taking drugs is normal but she doesn't think that drugs are the right thing to do and she is against them. Its living in the lifestyle she sees as the norm, not that she thinks normal people do drugs.

Thanks

MartyK

4 June 2016
Hello,

I have now spoken to Child Services and a Solicitor.
They have both informed me that I am not breaking the law by keeping her here.
Child Services has told me that they will update her address to mine and that they will call me if she is under a Child Protection Order.
If I dont hear back within a week, that she is not and I am fine to keep her. I will need to apply for legal guardianship.
If she is under a CPO, they will access my living environment and either approve or deny my request for her to live here.

They Solicitor has informed me also that we will need to mediate with her mother, which will be difficult as I am now in the process of finding exactly where she is living so the police can be informed and she can be apprehended.

Thanks

I'm really pleased to hear this Keedan. Your sister is very lucky to have an older brother that cares for her and her wellbeing as much as you obviously do!

Keedan Punch

5 February 2017
Hello Everyone,

I just had two detectives here to access the situation. They have included in their report that the environment is safe and that my sister is safe. She also told them that she wants to be here. They have given permission for that and they will no longer be involved. It is a Child Services matter now to determine if this is the safest place for her to be.

The reason they were here so soon was that her grandmother reported to the police that I had kidnapped her and wasn't returning her after informing her that I was given permission from her mother to have her here an extra few days. Just shows how much of a mess the grandmother is.

Thanks