QLD Gaining Custody of Children from Previous Same Sex Relationship?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

-monika72-

7 May 2018
I have a friend that was in a same sex relationship and after the relationship ended, the maternal mother of six kids gave two of her children to my friend. She has had one of these kids for over five years now and the other one for not as long. She wants to legally have custody of children for both of them.

As she is not on their birth certificate as a parent and she has asked the mother to give custody of the two children to her. The mother has said no and says she would take them away if she keeps asking. The mother has a bad drug habit and has been in and out of jail and the rest of her children are grown or with their fathers. She is at her wit's end and doesn’t know what to do so she will never loose the children.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Tough situation to be in. Sometimes it is better to just leave things as they are and if anything changes then get to court asap. I'm wondering if this is one of those times.

If action is initiated now it may have unintended consequences.

Your friend's case likely grows stronger the longer she leaves things alone, but this is no guarantee.