Custody of child and rights

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


20 September 2020
Hi I'm seeing if someone can help me . In 2019 i met my partner from being housemates on a working holiday visa from the UK, we had a baby together and was on a 820 partner visa which cost 10,000 dollars ,plus medical testing.

She has a 4 year old with her ex partner and with me starting of as housemates with her , let's just say I didn't like the lifestyle and the people and things she was bringing him round on a daily basis.

Long story short but for 16 months long This women has been horrendous to myself and hurt me ridiculously and now also my son, I put all my eggs in 1 basket for this girl and changed my whole life for her and her son, i have no friends here , no family or nobody here for me and this girl has walked all over me.

I have had to speak to certain lawyers to fight to stay to live in this country with my own son and to get certain documents to fight to get residency here
She has a very clear drinking problem which she is in total denial of , she was drinking throughout her pregnancy and since my baby has been born been drinking too consistently, as said above I don't want to be in a situation where she is bringing my son around certain people and a lifestyle that I have witnessed myself with her 4 year old son.

One day I was at work and had the babys car seat and pram in my car and she made a total lie up of saying she had a drink with one of the women living down our street , I knocked on this women's door and it was a total lie , this women driven with no baby seat so this alone proves she has a drinking problem, she also has her car licence disqualified due to drink driving.

Over the 16 months I have written documentwtion of everything that has gone on in our relationship from May 2019 to September 2020 to this day .

I am seeing what rights I have and what pathway I go down to look after my son . I am a good father , I am hardworking, I don't drink, I don't smoke , I don't do drugs . I want the best for my son and I don't want to go a single day without my little boy.

Tim W

LawTap Verified
28 April 2014
Are you in Australia, or the UK at present?
Where is she?
Where is your child?


Well-Known Member
28 August 2018
The local child protection authority may want to hear from you, but be aware that is a genie you can't put back in the bottle once opened, so think about what this may mean for the future of the child. If your child is deemed at risk in her care, you may need to take over 100% care, at least until she can demonstrate change. The alternative is to try to work with her... not sure if that is an option.