Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Criminal Record and Discrimination from TV Show

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Brad Rogers, 25 July 2014.

1. Brad Rogers

Brad Rogers New Member

I've been trying for years to get on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire'. I've been to jail albeit about 15 years ago and I haven't been in trouble since. They say that you can't go on if you have a criminal record and I feel that I'm being discriminated against because I've paid for my crime. Do I have to keep paying for it or have I got a legal way to be accepted to the show? Society is always banging on about rehabilitation but they won't look past my past transgressions and stop the discrimination.

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi Brad,
    1. Which state/territory are you located in?
    2. If you were in jail over 15 years ago, you may apply to clear your criminal record using a spent convictions application in your state/territory.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

No, you don't.
    Subject to the various anti-discrimination regimes, and employment law generally*
    it's their show and they can cast who they like.

In any event, a spent conviction (even if it is available for your offence - no, don't tell us)
    does not mean you can say "no" when asked
    by an employer (or, say, as a condition of taking part in a game show...)

"Have you ever been arrested for..."

where this would be untrue.
    Their choice of language in that question is not an accident.

* in some game shows, "contestants" are employed by the production company

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    John R likes this.