NSW How to Remove Conviction from Criminal Record?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by ezmarh, 19 October 2016.

1. willow

willow Active Member

Hi, how much was the amount that you were overpaid? I have dobbed myself in to Centrelink for under reporting about $14-$22k with of income. It was over an 18 month period.

I’m a single Mum and a student and I want to be an OT in three years when I graduate but I think my stupidity has screwed that up for me.
    I am also a parent of two beautiful little boys and I was under reporting to cope financially. But even then, it was wrong.

I’m waiting to hear back from centrelink after giving them all of my payslips for the under reporting period.

What was your conviction?

What did you have to do? What was your fine etc?

And what was the amount you defrauded them?

From a girl in the same boat.

2. willow

willow Active Member

Hey could you work with the criminal record? I am studying OT and I have voluntarily dobbed myself in for 18 months of under reporting. I’m on a single parenting payment and I was being under paid my family tax benefit. I didn’t realise this and I was busy, stressed, confused and just in survival mode and made a bad decision to under report my earnings.
    I am scared of being imprisjoned and more scared of what will happen with my sons, ages 5 and 7, and also I am scared of not being allowed to work as an OT in three years when I graduate.

3. willow

willow Active Member

Also I’d like to add that I am able to pay $10k immediately back to centrelink as soon as they work out what the debt is.

4. ezmarh

ezmarh Active Member

Hello
    I’m not sure how it works. I got summoned to court and then I went and found out my fate then
    Each case is different
    I owed $36,000 so mine was more and you’ve told them what you were doing? Have you started paying the money back? I had been paying mine back but still had to go to court...
    When the judge told me I wouldn’t get a criminal record I thought all was ok until I applied for a job and it showed up in my criminal record.

I have been working with my criminal record and I’ve had a few government jobs you just have to be honest and it depends on the person. I’ve been blessed to have good supervisors

nothing shows up on my criminal record now

It’s something I am not proud of
    But just wait until you hear back

Hope this helped

5. Rachyb

Rachyb Member

Hey! Just wondering what type of government jobs you were able to have? I made the same mistake and I want to be a social worker but I’m not sure if there’s any point now.

6. Mhaj

Mhaj Member

Hi, I just want to ask if you did go to jail? I have the same issue and I am really scared. Although I made amends to do things right. I just hope you answer my question. Thanks

7. ezmarh

ezmarh Active Member

I worked for FACS as a customer service officer so more of a behind the scenes job but i still told them about the record. I have since done my criminal record and it comes up empty... Hope this helps

8. ezmarh

ezmarh Active Member

No I didn't. I got 2 years good behaviour and had to pay the money back. But each case is different. Hope this helps

9. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

Dobbing yourself in and acknowledging a mistake ... I reckon they'll direct you to pay it back. Nice Easy..
    But if they investigate and catch you, and have you charged. Different scenario.

I don't think a conviction for centrelink fraud is gonna impact on all that many jobs. Maybe you're worrying about nothing. Unless it is something that requires some sort of security clearance... So for example the cops. But if it was something like teaching would not think it would be a concern