Fine for drunk in public. Criminal record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeremy Lalond

18 January 2018
Hi all,

I've really been struggling to find an answer for this, as I've been seeing some contradictory responses online.

I was arrested for being drunk in public and held for 5 hours. I was released and given an infringement notice with a fine i have to pay. I do not have to go to court, just pay the fine.

I'm worried about having a criminal record as it would affect my future job prospects. I found some law websites that said this will definitely show as a conviction on my record, so i started looking into applying for a diversion. Only in doing so, it looks like if I go to court to have the matter heard, it will definitely show up on my record.

Can anyone help me with a conclusive answer. If i just pay the fine will it show on my record?

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy

sammy01

27 September 2015
No criminal record.. it is a fine like littering... dont believe me? Go to the local police station do some grovelling and ask them just to give u peace of mind

Reactions: Jeremy Lalond

Kevin.bond

24 January 2018
No conviction recorded. You may have been given a ticket if you have to pay a fine. Im almost definate its no conviction recorded.