Confused about Store Refunds and Exchanges for Clothing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dianne Horvath

9 November 2015
Ok, so I have read this post (Australian Consumer Law - Returning Unused Online Sale Items) as well as other similar ones posed in this forum, and I'm left utterly confused.

I'm wondering why the law/s on exchanges and refunds seem so murky. How is it possible that EACH store can trade under their own policy for refunds and exchanges, is that even allowed?

I'm completely frustrated by stores policies on this, and would love to know how stores contrive their policies from the law. Also, is it so ambiguous that no lawyer will waste time on such matters because there's no real prize at the end, or is there just no clear laws?

I'm totally fed up with this issue as I do shop and purchase often as part of my job.

I tried to exchange a clothing item for a different size today, which I unfortunately lost the receipt for, the tags however were still in place on the garment. The junior told me in no uncertain terms that THIS STORES POLICY WAS NO EXCHANGE WITHOUT A RECEIPT.

I wasn't asking for a refund, and I understand their policy, but is this the law, because the various store policies are getting as confusing as women's dress sizes store to store and I've had enough.

And finally, could someone please refer me to where I could read the "actual law" in matters of exchanges and refunds. I'd be very grateful. (I think)

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Here's a good place to start: Consumer rights & guarantees

What you might find confusing with the differences in laws is either (a) the business is not complying with the laws or (b) they're offering results which exceed what is required by the laws. (b) is completely legal.

With respect to your 'no receipt' issue, businesses are entitled to require some form of proof of purchase. Otherwise, for example and in no way an insinuation that this has occurred, someone could shoplift from the store and then come back in and 'return' the item for a refund.

Dianne Horvath

9 November 2015
Here's a good place to start: Consumer rights & guarantees

What you might find confusing with the differences in laws is either (a) the business is not complying with the laws or (b) they're offering results which exceed what is required by the laws. (b) is completely legal.

With respect to your 'no receipt' issue, businesses are entitled to require some form of proof of purchase. Otherwise, for example and in no way an insinuation that this has occurred, someone could shoplift from the store and then come back in and 'return' the item for a refund.

Thank-you so much for your reply Rob, I really do appreciate it and cannot wait to get my teeth stuck into reading "consumer rights & guarantees".
And of course I understand about the no receipt, but as I said I wasn't asking for a refund just an exchange, and the confusing thing is other stores have allowed me to exchange without receipt, which is why I'd like to difinatively know, my responsibilities and rights.

Thx again.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au