NSW Experience of Shoplifting in A Store

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ximubuwif

28 October 2018
Hi,

I am writing this to inquire about what should I expect:

I was in Wooles last week and while talking over the phone, I missed putting in some grocery items worth $8. As soon as I made the payment, there was a guy standing at my back who immediately took the receipt from me and told me that you have not paid for all the items. I got confused and told him that I had paid but he wouldn't let me check the receipt. He made it look like I am a thief and called someone else. They both were in normal dresses.
By the time the other person came back, I had paid for the $8 food items with the help of the check-out lady and when I got the receipt of the payment, the person took that receipt from my hands again and gave both the receipts to the other person who had just arrived while I was paying.
The first person who was talking to me took me to him and that security person asked me that I hadn't paid for those items and do not have the receipt. I told him that I have paid and he said that he will look into the security footage and then refund the money to me if I had paid it. He asked for my contact number and went away. I was getting late from office and I asked the first person that as I have already paid for the stuff and I am getting late from office, I could come back during my lunch time and sort this out.

When I reached my office in about 2 - 3 minutes, I had realised that I hadn't paid for those items. I went back to the store and apologised with the person. He told me that he has seen the security footage and I hadn't paid for it. I told him that I was on a phone call and must have missed it. I asked him if it is ALL OK and he said Yes and I left the store.

No photos or IDs were taken from me.

Because I take blood pressure medicines and they cause me dizzyness, I might have missed scanning such things on multiple occasions but can't say much about this.

I am worried will there be any police related matter against me as I had made the payments from my debit card. I have been a lot under stress and couldn't sleep because of this issue.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,

I am writing this to inquire about what should I expect:

I was in Wooles last week and while talking over the phone, I missed putting in some grocery items worth $8. As soon as I made the payment, there was a guy standing at my back who immediately took the receipt from me and told me that you have not paid for all the items. I got confused and told him that I had paid but he wouldn't let me check the receipt. He made it look like I am a thief and called someone else. They both were in normal dresses.
By the time the other person came back, I had paid for the $8 food items with the help of the check-out lady and when I got the receipt of the payment, the person took that receipt from my hands again and gave both the receipts to the other person who had just arrived while I was paying.
The first person who was talking to me took me to him and that security person asked me that I hadn't paid for those items and do not have the receipt. I told him that I have paid and he said that he will look into the security footage and then refund the money to me if I had paid it. He asked for my contact number and went away. I was getting late from office and I asked the first person that as I have already paid for the stuff and I am getting late from office, I could come back during my lunch time and sort this out.

When I reached my office in about 2 - 3 minutes, I had realised that I hadn't paid for those items. I went back to the store and apologised with the person. He told me that he has seen the security footage and I hadn't paid for it. I told him that I was on a phone call and must have missed it. I asked him if it is ALL OK and he said Yes and I left the store.

No photos or IDs were taken from me.

Because I take blood pressure medicines and they cause me dizzyness, I might have missed scanning such things on multiple occasions but can't say much about this.

I am worried will there be any police related matter against me as I had made the payments from my debit card. I have been a lot under stress and couldn't sleep because of this issue.

As long as it was an honest mistake and you paid for the items, the security knew this and all was required for you to pay for the items, as you did. Don't worry.
Mistakes do happen to most of us. The security is satisfied that this was a mistake, no other action will happen, if any, the security would have informed you what will be done.
Just take this as a lesson for the future, as you may pay for more than you should, it goes both ways, so it is better to be careful.
Don't lose sleep over this.

ximubuwif

28 October 2018
Hi Adam1User,

Thank you for the feedback.

I agree with you because I went to the same store after 10 minutes and spoke with the same security officer. I went again after 20 minutes because my mobile phone was missing after this incident and asked the same security people to look for it or check from to store manager. If they would have wanted to do anything or make a situation, they would have stopped me for the second or third time. Isn't it?