NSW Child Starting Visitation with Father - Family Law Opinions?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MartyK

4 June 2016
He has full access to the child. He can see her anytime he wants but he chooses not to as he does not want me present with him alone (his gf doesnt).

I think this sums up your general attitude. The father cannot and has not been given any opportunity to spend any time with yours and his child without you demanding to be present.

Regardless of the orders the Court makes in the interim, one thing is almost guaranteed. If you cannot reach your own agreements jointly (you and the father) and the decision is left to the Judge, the orders will not involve you being the supervisor.

Claire said:
Thanks everyone for replying but no one seems to have understood what I said.

As AllForHer said, yes we all understood what you said but just didn't agree with it.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok - look I think folks here wanna help...but even after being asked for more details you have not provided them... You even noted in your other post that we have minimal details.

So have you been ordered by the court back to where dad lives?

Let me ask you - how many times does dad have to deal with having his time observed by you before he can take the kid on his own? when the kid is 4? 8? 21?

You seemed to wanna know when a court is likely to give dad overnight access. My opinion - from the age of 3 is reasonable. I also think that maybe - just maybe your expectations are not in line with the thinking of folk here.

It seems reasonable to be that a 3 year old has 3-4 hour visits, based on the info you've provided. But I have to tell you it is a bit frustrating when trying to offer opinions.

Here is why... I've asked you some questions to help fill in some gaps. Stuff like what legal proceedings have happened already? But you didn't answer. So while you can say we have not understood - You're right... But you haven't helped us understand and as such it seems reasonable for the folk here (who really do wanna help) to jump to conclusions.

One last thought - why not let dad have the kid and you can spend your time with the kid being observed by him. Sounds bloody unreasonable doesn't it... why?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Okay, the child was two months of age when you broke up.

When did you start insisting that the child's time with her father be supervised? Was it as soon as you broke up, even though the child would have been familiar with him at that time?

Or is it only now because he opted out and the child is no longer familiar with him?