NSW Child living alone at home

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Leo343

24 April 2017
Hi, I am a 15yr boy whose parents are leaving overseas for 3 months. I have to stay and finish Year 11. I don't have any family that can stay with me at the house. I will be working soon and my parents will be sending me money, so I will have more than enough to feed and clothe myself. The legal age to live at home alone is 17. What kind of document can my parents make that would allow me to stay by myself without any problems from the police,child protection services etc.
Thanks in advance

shallice

23 April 2017
Hi. There's no one law in Australia that says at what age you can or can't leave your child home alone.

But the law is clear about the responsibility of parents to look after their children:

· Parents are expected to provide food, clothing, a place to live, safety and supervision. (Family Law Act 1975)

· NSW Police or the NSW Department of Family and Community Services can remove children from situations where their safety is in serious danger and there is no guardian present. (Children and Young Persons (Care & Protection) Act 1998)

· Parents can be charged with an offence if children are left in a dangerous situation, or are not fed, clothed or provided with accommodation. (Children and Young Persons (Care & Protection) Act 1998)

Please refer: http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/320072/home_alone.pdf

Therefore in summary there is no document that your parents can make that will allow you to stay by myself without any problems from the police, child protection services etc.

Shallice

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Parents should at least be arranging to have a family member/family friend call you regularly and maybe visit once or twice a week.