QLD Real Estate breach of confidentiality

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

heids27

24 May 2020
I’ve recently moved homes and left my old homes real estate for another.
My old real estate was contacted by my mothers ex partner whom she has a DVO on and was asked for my new address. My mother’s ex partner was then given my new address from my old real estate which they had from my exit of tenancy form.
My mother’s ex partner is a very violent man and has been calling friends of his and my mums, telling them how he plans on giving me a visit and how he doesn’t care if he gets locked up at this point. My old real estate knows that I am a single mother, living alone with my child. I don’t know much about the law but I feel they are very wrong to give out my address so easily to someone who calls and asks for it. I am now not able to sleep at my new home with my child as I feel so unsafe in my own home. I’ve had to sleep in hotels and at friends houses since finding this out. And I am thinking I will have to move as I don’t see myself sleeping at my home alone while feeling like this.
I’m not sure what to do legally about this and would like some advice, thank you.

Two issues here:

1. If threats have been made against you, you ought to go straight to the police and get an IVO on your mother's former partner; and
2. If the real estate agent or property manager has given out your details to a third party, it is possible they have contravened the Privacy Act. You may be able to commence proceedings for damages.

Reactions: heids27