Leaving children home alone (QLD)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

collin

4 June 2017
I have 2 children eldest boy 12 and youngest girl 8 . They are very responsible children and I will be getting increased custody of them soon. I know the law states that a child can be left alone when they are 12. But since the youngest is 8 will that be a problem?

Is it ok to leave them at home while i go to a 9-5 job and university study? If not then i will have to pay for after school/holiday care.

i am more worried about the school holidays as during school weeks it should be fine with them being at home by themselves for a couple of hours after the end of school.

Can the ex turn up at my house and take them from me or use that as an excuse?

Any advice is appreciated . Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
Mate IF my ex was leaving the kids home alone for 8 hours, I would have some real concerns.
If you have more than 35% care - Centrelink will provide some pretty handy subsidies for holiday care / after school care.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Also, where does it say you can leave kids over the age of 12 at home alone?

collin

4 June 2017
My lawyers and CSA because we had a problem when my ex left both my kids home alone at night to go to the movies all night with a boyfriend. They were 11 and 7 at the time. i found out a few months later because i had a DVO on me and had no contact with the kids. It was very upsetting to find out that. Plus there werent any repercussions for her since it happened a while back even when i reported it to CSA. They told me 12 and above was ok. This link might help too Have you ever left your child in the car while you get milk?

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Queensland
The Criminal Code (Section 364A) states:

• A person who, having the lawful care or charge of a child under 12 years, leaves the child for an unreasonable time without making reasonable provision for the supervision and care of the child during that time commits a misdemeanour. Maximum penalty is three years imprisonment.
  • Whether the time is unreasonable depends on all the relevant circumstances.
Source: Queensland Government – Criminal Code Act 1899