VIC Centrelink Debt - Chances of Winning in Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Karen Murphy

4 May 2017
Please help.

I have been told that to recover owing child support (around 30K) I have to take it to court? My ex didn't do his tax return for 3 1/2 years, was earning good money. l was receiving $200 per week, which was based on a provisional much lower amount for the 3 tears. The tax agency finally court up with him, his tax was done and then l received pages and pages of letters from C/S stating the amounts that l was meant to be paed each month, Ie;

He was meant to be paying me $1,401.83 a month not $200.00 for years. l now have a Centrelink debt which l have been paying off. Have appealed these debts and told that because it was a private agreement l can't do a thing about it...not fair.

If l take this to court, will l win?

Please help

sammy01

27 September 2015
Lodge a dispute with çsa. Can you provide any solid evidence to show that 1 he earns more or 2 he has the capacity to earn more?

Reactions: Karen Murphy

Karen Murphy

4 May 2017
Lodge a dispute with çsa. Can you provide any solid evidence to show that 1 he earns more or 2 he has the capacity to earn more?
Hi there yes the CSA has his taxable incomes for all the previous years , all showing a much higher amount like 3 times more.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
CSA will only take action when they have been asked to do so, making the account 'agency collect'. From memory, CSA will only go back something in the order of a month or two for arrears from the date they take over. Anything previous to that will be up to you.