Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Child Support Agency Debt

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by JohnL, 29 June 2015.

1. JohnL

JohnL Member

I have a debt to CSA (Child Support Agency) for $12,000 and have been paying it off at $200 a month at this stage as that is all the extra I can afford over the normal monthly payment. They have called me and told me that I have to pay at least 1,000 a month extra to pay it off or they will take further action (the message says "If you do not enter a satisfactory payment arrangement then DHS (Department of Human Services) Child Support can take enforcement action. This action may include: - collecting from your employer, - intercepting your tax refunds, - collecting money from Centrelink payments, - litigation against assets you own, and - preventing any overseas travel via Departure Prohibition Order").

Can they compulsory make me pay far more than I can afford even when I am making an attempt to pay it off?

I'm interested to know what the rules are, would be happy to pay off the debt if I had the capacity but they don't seem to want to listen to that, so any advice or help is very much appreciated.

2. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

Realisitically, the court would probably apply interest to these kinds of debts, and at $12,000, a monthly repayment of $200 would barely cover the interest, so it makes sense for the CSA to pursue higher repayments.

However, it's unlikely the court would permit the CSA to drive a person to financial hardship.

I really think you should speak to a legal aid solicitor about this matter so they can assess your position properly. Has CSA indicated what they are seeking in minimum repayment?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JohnL

JohnL Member

Their statement was "we are requiring you to pay an additional $513.96 to $642.46 per fortnight to be considered in a satisfactory payment arrangement." The absolute most I can afford is an extra $350 per month so have replied back with that.

The conversation yesterday with CSA was that I should cancel my medical insurance and cancel my golf - country club so not expensive 100 per year) as that was considered unnecessary and that I should pay absolute minimum on my credit card debts which might get me to $500 per month (I don't pay much above the minimum - maybe $30 per card to try and reduce the debt).

Can they dictate these things as to how one lives if the offer of $350 per month clears the debt within about 4 years?

Thanks for the help.