VIC Caught Shoplifting - What Happens in Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hi!

Please anyone here give me some opinions. I am very scared right now and I don’t know what is gonna happen to my life next.

I got caught shoplifting yesterday. They called the police and the police brought me to police station to be interviewed and recorded. This is my first time facing something like this and I know I shouldn’t have done it. It was the stupidest idea ever :(

The amount was 105$ and I have a security detacher in my bag. I haven’t use it to untag any clothes they caught from me. I just carried it with me, I got it from eBay.

They gave me charge documents (under section 74A of the Crimes Act ) and gave me a court date at Magistrate’s court.

I don’t know what is gonna happen at court. What’s the punishment? Will I get imprisoned? Will I get a criminal record? So many questions in my head now.

I'm willing to pay for fine and restitution to the stolen amount of the goods taken.

Please help me. I really don’t want this to affect my future career and my family.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!
You would really want to apply for a Diversion but that would depend on a host of factors.
The detagging device could substantiate a burglary charge if the police pushed for it (entering the shop with the intention to steal).

Either way, get a lawyer to represent you and apply for a diversion.

Qadeer khan

25 February 2019
You really want to apply for a variety of varieties, but these factors will depend on the host.