TAS Caught Shoplifting - What Happens Now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Buggo

4 December 2016
I was caught shoplifting $134 worth of groceries. I was taken into the store's office, waited for the police. Everyone was very friendly. We had a chat and then the police helped me to load my paid for goods into my car. I haven't been interviewed or signed anything yet but one officer said he would review the footage and contact me.

It was completely unintentional as I had a tantruming toddler and forgot to pay for items. I take full responsibility as even though unintentional, it is still stealing.

I'm terrified. I have never done anything wrong in my life! The worst thing I have ever done is a speeding fine.

What happens now? Will I have to go to court? Will I be fined? Jail? Will I have a criminal record?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. What happens now?
2. Will I have to go to court?
3. Will I be fined? Jail?????
4. Will I have a criminal record??

1. Wait. It is possible nothing will happen?

2. Only if charged. It is not certain you will be.

3. If this is your only offense (ignore driving tickets), then chances are it would be a fine at worst, warning at best.

4. Only if convicted. It may be you can be found guilty but not convicted.

It is hard waiting, but there's nothing you can do atm to change what happens. Recommend you write down your version of events, put it to one side, then enjoy Christmas with your kid/s. They grow up quickly.

Buggo

4 December 2016
Thank you. You've put my mind at ease. So I just wait for the police to contact me? Call? Or come to my house?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
It was completely unintentional as I had a tantruming toddler and forgot to pay for items. I take full responsibility as even though unintentional it is still stealing.

This isn't correct.

I don't know enough about your scenario and without viewing cctv I can't comment much further.

Wait until if/when you hear from the police and seek legal advice prior to participating in any questioning or interview.

Buggo

4 December 2016
This isn't correct.

I don't know enough about your scenario and without viewing cctv I can't comment much further.

Wait until if/when you hear from the police and seek legal advice prior to participating in any questioning or interview.

What is incorrect?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
In theory, it is not theft if there is no intention to steal. However much depends on the detail that is missing to know for sure.

FYI a tradie at Bunnings recently was charged with theft after putting a battery in his pocket to free up his hands and forgot to pay for the battery on the way out. He had no intention to steal but was still charged and convicted with a $500 fine.

Buggo

4 December 2016
In theory it is not theft if there is no intention to steal. However much depends on the detail that is missing to know for sure.

FYI a tradie at Bunnings recently was charged with theft after putting a battery in his pocket to free up his hands and forgot to pay for the battery on the way out. He had no intention to steal but was still charged and convicted with a $500 fine.

Whoa, $500 for a battery taken unintentionally!

I had placed meat on a cooler bag in my trolley to keep them cool while shopping. I had also place Bonds Undies, Gillette razor blades and batteries in that bag to hide from my partner if we ran into him while shopping (he said he may possibly come and find us) as they were presents for him I didn't want him to see.

At the self serve check out, I neglected to scan the items in the bag and a few other smaller items which fell to the bottom of the trolley when packing bags and placing them back into the trolley while dealing with my toddler.

Not great I know but also there was no intent to steal.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Ever watch the reality police shows where police pull over people and before they search a car, they ask the driver if there are any weapons or drugs in the car and the driver says 'no'? Then in 30 secs police find something.

Unfortunately police and courts deal with people like this all the time and your situation sounds no different to all the other denials they hear.

Buggo

4 December 2016
Ever watch the reality police shows where police pull over people and before they search a car they ask the driver if there are any weapons or drugs in the car and the driver says 'no'? Then in 30 secs police find something.

Unfortunately police and courts deal with people like this all the time and your situation sounds no different to all the other denials they hear.

Well that's a bit rude. I understand you know nothing of me or my situation, don't assume I am guilty and telling lies.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Sorry, you have misinterpreted my post. I was giving a perspective to you that police and courts are likely to have. Not what I think at all.

Inadvertently I've walked out of a shop 2 or 3 times without paying and went back to pay so I know how easy it is to do.