VIC Caught Shoplifting - What Should I Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Liiz

7 February 2017
I don't have criminal record. I have shoplifted from some stores over the last 6 months. Last week, a security guard caught me shoplifting when I left the shop. They called the police. Now I got go to court for what happened on that day.

I just moved to Melbourne. Couldn't find a job, have no income, also need to support my family financial overseas. I cannot eat and sleep in these days. I do not know what I should do now. I thought about suicide before, because I do not how to tell my family and friends about this. Could anyone help me? Now I'm truly remorseful for my actions and will never do it again.

I'm absolutely terrified that I will be tracked down by review of CCTV and be charged more. Can the police track me down by reviewing the CCTV? How well will they identify? Can they come and charge me more for shoplifting months later? Or will they show up in my apartment anytime, arrest me and search my apartment?

I will go to court in early June. What's the chance they will track me down and charges me more? Now they have my name and address.

What are my options? Would I have a criminal record?

Please help me!

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Can police track me down by reviewing the CCTV?
Yes, they are able to do this.

How well will they identify?
As well as the quality of the CCTV image allows them to.

Can they come and charge me more for shoplifting months later?
Yes, they can.

Or will they show up in my apartment anytime arrest me and search my apartment?
They may also do this in an effort to collect evidence of stolen items.

What's the chance they will track me down charges me more?
Cannot say.

Ideally you would need to get a lawyer. You may potentially end up with a criminal record - If it ends up being just one charge of theft you may qualify for a diversion which would be a good outcome as it means you won't have a record.

Liiz

7 February 2017
Thank you for your responses.

On that day I didn't have my ID with me. I was really scared and couldn't think straight. When the police asked my name, I naturally said my English name which is not my ID name, also given family name.
Yes, they are able to do this.

As well as the quality of the CCTV image allows them to.

Yes, they can.

They may also do this in an effort to collect evidence of stolen items.

Cannot say.

Ideally you would need to get a lawyer. You may potentially end up with a criminal record - If it ends up being just one charge of theft you may qualify for a diversion which would be a good outcome as it means you won't have a record.

Thank you for your response!

I got another question here: when I go to court on that day, the police officer who arrested me - will he have to attend the court as well?

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Thank you for your response! I got another question here: when I go to court on that day. The police officer who arrested me will he have to attend the court as well?
The arresting officer is known as the informant. Generally speaking, yes - He will be in attendance on the court date.

Tim l

1 August 2017
I don't have criminal record. I have shoplifted from some stores over the last 6 months. Last week, a security guard caught me shoplifting when I left the shop. They called the police. Now I got go to court for what happened on that day.

I just moved to Melbourne. Couldn't find a job, have no income, also need to support my family financial overseas. I cannot eat and sleep in these days. I do not know what I should do now. I thought about suicide before, because I do not how to tell my family and friends about this. Could anyone help me? Now I'm truly remorseful for my actions and will never do it again.

I'm absolutely terrified that I will be tracked down by review of CCTV and be charged more. Can the police track me down by reviewing the CCTV? How well will they identify? Can they come and charge me more for shoplifting months later? Or will they show up in my apartment anytime, arrest me and search my apartment?

I will go to court in early June. What's the chance they will track me down and charges me more? Now they have my name and address.

Please help me!
You're being paranoid. Relax, jail ain't that bad.

Last edited by a moderator: