VIC caught shop lifting by loss prevention officer bunnings

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

dumarse

23 February 2024
as my name implies, im a dumb ass... atleast today i was

at the moment im completly broke, i needed both AA and AAA batterys for the kids toys

i was near bunnings so i popped in and grabbed 3 packs of batterys, 2 of them i tore the batterys out and pocketed them they had a combined value of $20. the other pack i paid for $4.10 via bank card at the self check-out. so they have my details name ect due to me paying by bank card. i only had $5 on my card so its all i could afford.

as i exited the store, i was approached by a loss prevention officer as he informed me he seen me pocket the item. i handed him a pocket full of batterys, and left.

he didnt ask me to follow him anywhere, i didnt flee or run away. all he asked for was the item back and i simply just walked away.

is there a chance the police will follow this up ?

they simply just let me leave once i handed the batteries back.

any advise it appreciated

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
My guess? It's over.
No matter how much %^&k-waving the trained monkeys security workers do in store,
the store itself doesn't want the grief of calling the cops
for a low value theft that is within the calculations for expected loss.

Reactions: dumarse

Barrycoop

11 March 2024
They don’t have your details from using your card unless they entered the numbers and name on the card manually and kept it on file which would be illegal. They would not bother the police especially if they retrieved the $20 worth of goods.

Sorry to hear of your situation friend. I hope things turn around for you soon.