NSW Shoplifting at Bunnings- how do I fix this

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BikeSandals

26 July 2021
I got caught shoplifting at Bunnings yesterday by the loss prevention guys. I was short on money and could have used my partners card(and I should have) I just didn’t want to depend on him while we were short on money. I wanted to get some ropes to make some horse tack to sell and make some money to try and help out more. It’s stupid and there is nothing anybody could say to me that would make me feel worse than how I feel right now. It was completely out of character for me and I am frankly disgusted.
.they were good about it and I admitted what I had done straight away.
They took me in and we did paperwork. They said they weren’t going to call the police and I would just get a year long ban from Bunnings.

i broke down and cried and explained my situation(not that it justifies anything at all!) and they were kind to me. And let me go.

I head home and I have cried the entire way and just feel sick. I get home and I have a FB message from one of the guys asking if I was okay and he seen I was upset. I unloaded my built op frustrating of my situation and backstory to him and he was kind in return.

after not sleeping, eating and constantly fighting the urge to swim into the ocean and never return…I messaged him and asked if there was ANYTHING I could do to fix this.
meh said he was sorry I felt like that and he would see if he could help and to discuss options….
My partner doesn’t know(he’s away for work). And I can’t bring myself to tell him. Not yet. Not until I can try to fix this. I don’t ever want to keep a secret from him. But I just can’t bring myself to do it YET…is this okay? Is it okay for me to try to fix it first and then tell him? I feel sooo guilty I’d rather jump off a bridge than tell him right now.

can this guy help me out? Would there be a way I can fix this?

I have never been so disgusted and disappointed in myself my entire life and maybe I just need to be reassured? I don’t know. I just can’t function properly.
Thank you for reading.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If they're not calling the police,
and they let you go, then it's already over.
There's no "this" to "fix".
Stay away from Bunnings, and stay away from those staff.

Sounds like the guy is low level guy in the company.
So he has no real say over what can and can't happen.
He will have a supervisor and a manager who might think differently to him.
So don't attract any more attention to yourself.
Stay away, and be quiet.

Also. Seriously... he's in touch with you via Facebook? That stops now.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Go to a different branch. There's no shortage of them. But maybe stop with the shoplifting.

Save_me79

27 March 2022
Hi, Thanks for sharing I am in same situation, got caught by LPO, took me to backroom, took my id ban me for 1 year. No police was called. Paid for items I took.
i am feeling so down with guilt keep on thinking, unable to share with anyone also very scared if I will be charged by police or if there will be police record

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Hi, Thanks for sharing I am in same situation, got caught by LPO, took me to backroom, took my id ban me for 1 year. No police was called. Paid for items I took.
i am feeling so down with guilt keep on thinking, unable to share with anyone also very scared if I will be charged by police or if there will be police record
Same reply - If you paid, then it's over.

DavidI

20 November 2018
Go to a different branch. There's no shortage of them. But maybe stop with the shoplifting.
There is a risk of one employee from where you were caught to be in that other branch, small risk, so go to other hardware store,
second point "maybe" should not be used or an option. If one time got you in that bad state, then this is a good warning sign and stay away from it.