NSW Cars left on my property, threat made

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jeff b

18 June 2020
A friends partner has left two cars in my backyard, he now wants to get them but has made a threat too me, so what are my rights as i dont want him on my property, i also found out one vehicle may belong to finance company, how do i find out if it is and what are my rights? Thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
1. Allow someone else to collect the car with the owner’s authority.
2. Remove the car from your property so they can collect it from an alternate location.

1 is better than 2 for liability reasons.

It makes no difference to you whether a car is secured, unless the lender is looking to repossess.

Reactions: Rod

Jeff b

18 June 2020
1. Allow someone else to collect the car with the owner’s authority.
2. Remove the car from your property so they can collect it from an alternate location.

1 is better than 2 for liability reasons.

It makes no difference to you whether a car is secured, unless the lender is looking to repossess.
Thank u for your reply,
What are my options if the owner also has my belongings his refuseing to give back?

I think the lender is trying to reposes so how do i find out the lenders name?
As i dont want to be charged with haven a lenders car on my property if it is supposed to be reposessed....

rjm

2 February 2020
I doubt getting his car repossessed is going to inspire him to return your belongings.
Rob has advised the best course of action.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Won’t return your belongings? Contact the police.

Need to find out the lender? Do a Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) search. Costs about $16. You can order one here: www.ppsr.gov.au

Terry Yun

7 July 2020
Thank u for your reply,
What are my options if the owner also has my belongings his refuseing to give back?

I think the lender is trying to reposes so how do i find out the lenders name?
As i dont want to be charged with haven a lenders car on my property if it is supposed to be reposessed....
You may perform a PPSR Search, where details of security interests in personal property can be registered and searched. This includes Vehicle.