- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Abandoned Car on Private Property - What Can We Do?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Trista, 31 December 2014.

  1. Trista

    Trista Member

    31 December 2014
    Likes Received:
    My partner let a work colleague leave his car in our backyard until he could remove it. This was at least six months ago. For a number of months now, my partner has sent numerous text messages and asked him in person to remove the car. The car is now unregistered and despite the constant contact in regards to removing the vehicle, it is still in our yard. What can we do?
  2. Sarah J

    Sarah J Well-Known Member

    16 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Trista,

    Are you able to still contact the work colleague? If you know his registered post or last known address, write a formal letter to the colleague asking him to remove his car from your yard within 30 days (or longer if you're nice people) otherwise to contact you for further arrangements. In the letter write that if you do not hear from him within 30 days of sending the letter, he will have forfeited all rights to the car and you will remove and dispose of the car, at your sole discretion, from your yard and charge any costs associated with its removal or disposal to him. If you also know his email address, it is best to also send a copy of the letter to his email. Best to attempt two contact methods.

    At the end of 30 days, if you have not heard back from him, you are free to dispose of the car.
  3. Amanda E

    Amanda E Well-Known Member

    9 April 2014
    Likes Received:

Share This Page