QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alisa75

20 March 2016
Hey Bob & everyone on the forum.

I've just got in from work and just caught a glimpse of the news on Channel 7 tonight and apparently they have a story on tomorrow nights news informing "our rights". Apparently these horrible tow truck companies are apparently paying people in certain areas to call the towing company ASAP when a car is parked to have it collected and then we are forced with no options other than to pay the astronomical amount to have our car returned. Extortion.

Hope we get more helpful information.

Reactions: Bob smith

dingo

14 April 2016
They are attempting to operate legally under the Transport operations act sections mentioned earlier. Their reasoning is that it is private property which may be fine but there is no way such a huge fee can be attached. The only way they are allowed to interfere with a vehicle is under distress damage feasant (which in most of these cases would never hold up in court as only damage incurred can be sort) or if they are contracted by the owners of the building.

Reactions: Jackattack

Jackattack

14 April 2016
I too have been towed by these guys. Did a bit of research and it all seems to be legal and after watching the news tonight it's pretty much confirmed that it is legal. I ignored the signs and took the risk so it's my own fault.

I'm not sure what other people's dealings with the staff have been like but I didn't have a issue. After I paid for my car, the only abuse I could hear going on was from someone abusing the crap out of them for towing his car guess that's part of the job but at the same time if you're going to abuse someone then you need to be prepared to cop it back. Probably why I had an OK experience with them besides handing over my money.

WronglyTowed

14 April 2016
Hi,

My daughter's car was towed tonight from Fortitude Valley. She was left with no idea where her car was and it was only a call to Police Link who provided the answer. She was a 19-year-old girl left out on the street at 11pm at night.

I got the call and rang the towing company straight away and arranged for the car to the released. Both my daughter and I were left standing outside in the rain tonight on Breakfast Creek Road as they company wouldn't let us in. It was only when I threatened to call the police as I feared for our safety that we were provided entry
On entry, I attempted to record my conversation and was told I couldn't - even though they were recording mine I also had to provide personal details which I provided under duress. I mentioned that this information was private and I wasn't prepared to give it to them and I was told that if I didn't provide them, the car wouldn't be returned.

The security guard also told me that he was a security guard and it was his right that he could have this information which was clearly his ego rather than any lawful reason.

I would also like to be involved in any class action. Their reckless towing put my daughter and my safety at risk, let alone the "fee" to release the car which I also suggest is unlawful considering that it was a 2km tow.

Help!

Reactions: Scrooge

Jackattack

14 April 2016
Hi,
My daughters car was towed tonight from Fortitude Valley. She was left with no idea where her car was, and it was only a call to Police Link who provided the answer.
She was a 19yo girl left out on the street at 11pm at night.
I got the call and rang the towing company straight away and arranged for the car to the released. Both my daughter and I were left standing outside in the rain tonight on Breakfast Creek Road as they company wouldn't let us in.
It was only when I threatened to call the police as I feared for our safety that we were provided entry.
On entry, I attempted to record my conversation and was told I couldn't - even though they were recording mine
I also had to provide personal details which I provided under duress. I mentioned that this information was private and I wasn't prepared to give it to them and I was told that if I didn't provide them, the car wouldn't be returned.
The security guard also told me that he was a security guard and it was his right that he could have this information which was clearly his ego rather than any lawful reason.

I would also like to be involved in any class action. Their reckless towing put my daughter and my safety at risk, let alone the "fee" to release the car which I also suggest is unlawful considering that it was a 2km tow.

Help!

Jenny

Breakfast Creek Road or Hutcheson Street? Think you might have a different company.

Jayctee

16 April 2016
Yesterday my car was towed from the car park behind Carina shops in Brisbane. I later found the warning signs that I could read when I was about 2 metres away. My eyes are not 20/20. I had to pay $450 to Brissy Towing. Great scam.

Is there a minimum signage law ? I.e. printing size, number of signs, location?

Reactions: Scrooge

Rickysh

17 April 2016
Hi All,

I faced the same sort of situation on Friday night the 15th April 2016. My car was towed away from Loganlea station. I catch the train to the city everyday. There is an empty block of land where everyone has been parking there car for last six months. I am no talking about 2 or 3 cars. It's like 30 or 40 cars at least.

I parked my car there at 9 am in the morning and when I got back around 7.30 pm I could not find my car. Thought it was stolen. Spoke to a few people around and they said a number of cars were towed away today. I asked them what company it was and they mentioned that they put a sign up on Thursday. So I started looking for the sign.

Finally, I found it just alongside the long grass very poorly visible. You can hardly notice that sign there. I asked them why they did not give any warning to all the people before they started towing away. He mentioned they did not have to give any warning. It is the same as mentioned before, 115 Breakfast Creek Road.

Charges were $660. They said if I don't get there by 10pm, they will charge me another another 110 on top of it. So I had to go back to Newstead to pick my car up. I have taken all the pics of the location and the sign. They mentioned that there is a contract between the owner and them to tow these cars away.

Then I said, "who should I dispute against the company or the owner?" Then they gave me an email address to send any issues. I felt hopeless and with no options left besides paying them and getting my car back.

I am more than happy to join the fight. If anyone needs any information, I'm more than happy to help.