QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Been following this thread with interest. We're talking auto theft, extortion and demanding money with menaces. Clearly the law is being broken.

Reactions: Scrooge

paul langdon

5 April 2016
Hi all fellow victims!

My wife parked in Fortitude Valley and whilst she was not entirely "switch on" re-checking thoroughly the signs, thought she was able to park in that area. She was forced to pay by credit card to have the work vehicle that was towed released.

Was thinking of disputing the credit card transaction with the bank to see if it can be refunded. Any chance of success? What tact should we take?

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
I would say get onto the credit card provider first thing in the morning and explain the situation, saying the transaction was made under duress and can you get it reversed.

paul langdon

5 April 2016
I would say get onto the credit card provider first thing in the morning and explain the situation, saying the transaction was made under duress and can you get it reversed.
Hi - I contacted the bank to ask for payment to be reversed under duress - said people in the area mentioned it was a set up by a towing company. Bank said they cannot reverse as it was authorised, but they could investigate which would take about 45 days but no guarantee of success - said could be best to report to police or consumer affairs - has anybody tried this?

Clancy

6 April 2016
Years ago I had an opportunity to become a tow truck driver in Sydney...but then the towtruck company warned me I would need to be able to fight with other towtruck drivers and members of the public. They said I did not look aggressive enough for the job!

This is the industry you are dealing with.

Hugebean76

8 April 2016
Can someone please give me the name of the owner of Cactus Towing? I am engaging a solicitor to recover what I consider to be a debt.

Clancy

6 April 2016
The ABN register will tell you the ABN numbers of companies with that or similar names, but having a similar/same name is no guarantee it is the same company you're actually looking for.

In my job, I do a lot of company searches, and at least half the time I find an ABN number for a company name given to me, it's wrong because they gave me an 'informal' trading name, not the registered business name!