QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LauraJane

11 March 2016
I have recently had the same thing happen to me in West End. I have had to pay the $660 to get the car back as I need it for work but I am definitely planning to get it back.

Is there any help I can get from any of you who have had success in pursuing this matters?

Thanks.

T D

12 March 2016
Hi All,

A friend has just had the same thing happen to his car, by the same company.

$660 to get it back and towed after less than 2 hours in a visitors parking spot of a private residential car park that was full of other cars. He was openly told by Daniel that they specifically targeted his car because it was the most expensive one in the parking lot.

After they towed my friends car, they went back to the same carpark and tried to tow a number of other cars in the same apartment complex (Chelsea Apartments) in Bowen Hills. The neighbours advised this company specifically and repeatedly targets their carpark, including the cars of residents, and will tow after a few minutes.

We are incredibly frustrated for everyone else who has experienced this and despite the operation of this company under some perceived legal loophole, hopefully, these guys come undone sooner rather than later. Their lack of attention to detail and blatant disregard for ethical operation will come back to bite them.

Let us know what we can do to get on board and get this stopped from happening again.

T D

12 March 2016
FYI - the owner of Cactus, is affiliated with Dakoda's Towing and All Kind Towing...

[Updated by Moderator: Allkind Towing has advised: "This information is incorrect and the confusion has occurred with one of my trucks being sold to Cactus Towing and my decals were not removed off the door. Cactus Towing has sinced removed this from the truck."]

Last edited by a moderator:

nicole morgan

15 March 2016
HI there,

This happened to me today and I was parked in a business complex on James Street, New Farm. I was actually at a booked appointment to see my Accountant in the complex and parked where there was a sign that read 'Customer Parking 2 Hours' - there was no business name or sign on these. After being there only 20 minutes, I saw a Cactus Towing tow truck arrive and start to attach braces to the wheels of my car.

When I approached the 2 men, they stated I wasn't allowed to park there and had to now pay $550 to prevent having my car taken away. When I stated that was ridiculous and that I was there for business next door, they began pushing the car with me standing in front of it. The man said, if you don't move we will keep pushing. I was so upset and when I started crying he got out the EFTPOS machine and demanded payment.

I asked his name and he wouldn't give me his surname and wouldn't tell me the managers name of the complex. I paid with my card but he wouldn't take the braces off the wheels until he had a copy of my license.

Can anyone recommend what I should do about this?

tony free

19 March 2016
Hi, everyone.

Detailing this correspondence between ourselves we need to be of the utmost carefulness that we don't prejudice any actions that can be taken or open anyone to potential defamation lawsuits. As someone who has personally dealt with the owner of Cactus Towing, I am well aware of the business practises that they have deployed which will be the subject of a number of applications I am making before the courts and hence it is not wise to comment on such matters within a public forum.

As this is a public forum I am at odds to discuss the full extent of the business practises that I have been made aware of, however, I can personally assure you that such practises have a clear and actionable cause and nothing would bring me a greater degree of joy then to, at my own cost and time, seek to stand up for people that have been unfairly dealt with. At the very least, I will be seeking that the towing fees incurred by parties (where the court deem they are an unreasonable penalty) are refunded.

Please remember that we must maintain the highest morale standard when dealing with these allegations with the golden rule "if my actions were to make the front page of the newspaper would I be ashamed" a great litmus test. I can personally assure each and every one of you that I will get a win on this one and would be more than pleased to help other people that have been affected by the alleged conduct.

Thanks
I too am a victim of Cactus under same circumstances as everyone here. How will you represent thi. On your own regarding your own incident or as an action representing other victims. Naturally I would be glad to lend my circumstance of victimization to this action. Thank you.

Alisa75

20 March 2016
Another victim.

I too was a victim of "Catus Towing". I had only parked briefly to attend a medical incident regarding my young daughter. The car park allotment was meters from the Normbany Hotel and at the time of parking the gates where open and I had seen others park there so I felt safe and secure. I had noticed it was a car park for a church services on selected times and for paint ball patrons which I now know was closed when I had parked.

I just felt it would be OK while attending to my daughter. I returned 30minutes or so later to find my car gone firstly believing it was stolen but after walking around in disbelief I discovered it may have been towed as I had sighted a sign which was hidden on the open gate and not visible in the dark. After calling this towing company Catus, I was told my vehicle had been towed and if I wanted the vehicle to pay $660 within 12hrs to release or it would increase $66 per 24hrs. I ask why $660 and was told usually it's $550 but because it's night time a fee of $110 is incurred because it's dark..

Are you kidding me?

I was in shock, shaking and devastated I actually felt dizzy and nearly passed out.

I was a woman on my own in the dark with no vehicle. I eventually got a taxi and headed to the back streets of Albion to see my car locked up. As I waited for a "Cactus" employee to return to the yard after towing another innocent victims car a police vehicle whom was patrolling the area drove by they kindly stopped to ask if I was ok I explained my situation they kindly advised me to file a civil action towards them and informed me QLD police don't condone there actions only if the vehicle is obstructing traffic or situations they will ask a towing company to remove a vehicle.

This is outrages. It is extortion and black mail!!! Fair enough $100-$200 but $660 is not acceptable.

Cactus Towing, you are horrible, horrible people with no heart, feelings or compassion.

If I could ask for any advice on what to do or if I can sign anything to stop this happening to other innocent victims please contact me.

Reactions: John Smithe

John Smithe

22 March 2016
I strongly recommend that all persons who have been a victim of Cactus Towing look at sections 135 and 136 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 (Qld), which specifically prohibits the behaviour that Cactus Towing engages in.

In my opinion (and it is just an opinion) Daniel also deliberately makes signs near impossible to see, and I am currently investigating whether or not he has the requisite authority to remove cars from the premises from which mine was towed from. Obviously if he does not have the requisite authority to do so, then he has stolen my car and I will be filing a police report.

Nonetheless, if you read the legislation I have referenced above, you will have a prima facie case to get your money back. I sincerely wish everyone the best of luck with their attempts to recover their money payed to Cactus Towing. (I wish I could use stronger language than this, but sadly its a public forum).

John Smithe

22 March 2016
HI there,

This happened to me today and I was parked in a business complex on James Street, New Farm. I was actually at a booked appointment to see my Accountant in the complex and parked where there was a sign that read 'Customer Parking 2 Hours' - there was no business name or sign on these. After being there only 20 minutes, I saw a Cactus Towing tow truck arrive and start to attach braces to the wheels of my car.

When I approached the 2 men, they stated I wasn't allowed to park there and had to now pay $550 to prevent having my car taken away. When I stated that was ridiculous and that I was there for business next door, they began pushing the car with me standing in front of it. The man said, if you don't move we will keep pushing. I was so upset and when I started crying he got out the EFTPOS machine and demanded payment.

I asked his name and he wouldn't give me his surname and wouldn't tell me the managers name of the complex. I paid with my card but he wouldn't take the braces off the wheels until he had a copy of my license.

Can anyone recommend what I should do about this?

Please see my post below regarding sections 135 and 136 of the Transport Operations Act - That should be sufficient for you to get your money back.