QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maree1

18 December 2015
Same thing happened to me last night. My car got towed from a small private car park in Brisbane inner city. My car was only there about 10 minutes before it got towed. When I came back twenty minutes later, I thought it had been stolen.

There was a very small sign which I did not see when I parked the car which makes me even more angry. It's not like I read the sign and ignored it. I called the phone number worried about the security of my car. I was told I have to pay $450 and that they have CCTV footage. $450 is a lot of money! I have read the comments above. Looks like we are all in the same boat. Now I am concerned about going to the storage place to pick up my car but if I don't I am told they will charge me extra storage!

bob289

11 January 2016
I recently had my car towed - whilst I watched - from a parking lot which does have signage stating that it is private car parking (however, it is poorly lit at night). The tow truck drivers hooked up my car tired and were hoisting it on to the back of the tow truck when I realised what was happening and came outside to investigate.

They claimed that they could not unhook the car once the wheels were locked in (or whatever they call it) and they then towed my car away. I was forced to pay $550 for the return of my car. They tried to slap an extra $110 on top, but somehow I managed to dispute the additional $110 and leave with my car. There seemed to be no signage anywhere stating the charges, how they were broken down and what any additional charges might be.

The car park is for an office block and is never used at night time - so it is not as though I was blocking a driveway or an emergency exit/entrance. In addition, the tow truck drivers pushed over a passerby whilst going about their business as this passerby couldn't hear their directions due to running with earphones in. I can't find any legislation on towing cars parked on private property. Appreciate your help!

Gemma, this happened to me on Friday night. I had a similar experience with these underhanded characters. I saved two 18-year-old from having their cars towed and then the truck drivers wouldn't give me my car back for "interfering" with their business. Could you please let me know how you ended up going? Was it cactus towing?

bob289

11 January 2016
The above got moderated - not sure why - I am not personally identifying any business. The point I was trying to make is that I am a solicitor and was personally impacted by a business that sounds like the same as that mentioned by others above.

I'd like to jointly take action with others affected. So I can give more information, please reply directly below

I had a terrible experience with the towing company and I think we are taking about the same one. I am happy to put money towards legal fees and shine the light on these individuals.

Reactions: Scrooge

Rossco

11 January 2016
Hi guys - the same situation occurred to my partner's son in a complex at Bowen Hills on Saturday night at 10:50 pm. Having access to a solicitor (my brother), this is going to be investigated. I'm not holding my breath in thinking something will eventuate in our favour however I'm happy to support others with a civil action against this scum on earth. Check the by-laws of the property carefully as you many have a case should it not be spelled out in detail and made known properly & succinctly.

Reactions: Scrooge

Disgraceful act

26 January 2016
Seems like a good business for the body corp and cactus towing.

I, too, got caught due to the heavy rain and the poorly positioned sign for the conditions.I know I got scammed and paid the over the top penalty. I'm just glad I was told of my car being towed instead of finding out on my return.

Can someone let me know where I stand with damage occurred to my car while the vehicle was being towed?

Do I contact the body corp or the towing company for compensation?

bob289

11 January 2016
Disgraceful act. Did you get towed from 146 Wickam Terrace? (next to the icecream parlor?)

I wrote to these people last week regarding the unlawful tow and the disgraceful conduct. I have not heard back. What damage has been done to the car?

I say that all of us should call on the same day to report them to the office of fair trading. Once that has been addressed, we can look at a class action. The building as far as I am aware does not have a body corporate. It is owned privately and is listed as commercial. I have been told that the camera on the outside of the building alerts the resident inside who contacts cactus towing and, in turn, receives some sort of commission.

The tow truck also sits on a side street during busy times actually waiting for somebody to park there (I caught them in the act) and immediately goes and tows the car. My car was there for just 8 minutes before it was towed.

Please let me know, I want to put them in their place and put and end to this.

myra

26 January 2016
Hi everyone,

I am responding to this thread in my own personal capacity. Your stories above sound very similar to a situation that occurred to me over the weekend at a Car Park in Brisbane. I would not at all be surprised if we are all talking about the same business.

I consider the conduct of this business to be unlawful. Amongst other things, I think that the charges imposed constitute an unlawful contractual penalty under the penalties doctrine. Class actions for the imposition of unlawful contractual penalties are becoming much more common. I'd like to present a united cause of action. There may also be statutory grounds under the Competition and Consumer Act and room to lodge a complaint with the appropriate regulator.

I would be very happy to provide you with some further information in relation to a potential claim. It will also enable us to quickly determine if this is the same business we are all talking about. The more plaintiffs we can join to the cause of action, the stronger we will be, and the bigger threat our claim will be.

As I said, I think these businesses are operating unlawfully and I would like to see that formally determined.

Kind regards

Hayden

Our daughter has had her car towed this evening by who I would assume are probably the same company responsible for towing most of the cars in previous threads. It cost us $660 to retrieve it, an exorbitant charge in anyone's book. We would be very interested in the further information you mention in your post as we consider this utterly disgraceful business practice.

Regards

myra

26 January 2016
Disgraceful act. Did you get towed from 146 Wickam Terrace? (next to the icecream parlor?)

I wrote to these people last week regarding the unlawful tow and the disgraceful conduct. I have not heard back. What damage has been done to the car?

I say that all of us should call on the same day to report them to the office of fair trading. Once that has been addressed, we can look at a class action. The building as far as I am aware does not have a body corporate. It is owned privately and is listed as commercial. I have been told that the camera on the outside of the building alerts the resident inside who contacts cactus towing and, in turn, receives some sort of commission.

The tow truck also sits on a side street during busy times actually waiting for somebody to park there (I caught them in the act) and immediately goes and tows the car. My car was there for just 8 minutes before it was towed.

Please let me know, I want to put them in their place and put and end to this.
Hi,

Did you ever get a response from the towing company? Our daughter's car was towed last night, $660 to retrieve it and this morning we too have found damage on the car. My husband called up and the owner. D told him to go on Facebook to find his email address. He wouldn't give it to him over the phone. When we checked, there does not appear to be a Facebook page in the company's name. We are furious. These business practices are disgraceful.

Disgraceful act

26 January 2016
I haven't spoke to the owner yet as I'm getting all the quotes together.

I believe it's the body corp or the owner of the property responsibility as they ordered the car to be moved at a financial gain.It's another revenue source for the property owner so they have to take responsibility for the damage. Where did you get your car towed from?