QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James Tyson

6 March 2016
Finally someone that knows what they are talking about. I spent more than the tow was worth to find out exactly what was just posted

SimonO2802

9 October 2016
I fell victim to these guys tonight.

I was visiting a friend at a hotel at the end of Wharf St, Kangaroo Pt. I parked in the spot I was in at approx 6pm, without realising at the time it was a 24 hour no parking zone. Anyhow, I was in there about an hour, maybe only 45 minutes before leaving to go pick up pizzas I'd just ordered. I got to the car with two buddies, only to find someone was sitting in their car behind me almost blocking me in. It didn't occur to me until now (-660$ later) this was def a spotter.

After I got to my car I waved for him to shuffle forward so I could squeeze out. He did, only to then lurk in the cul de sac watching me leave.

I came back about 30 min later and parked in the same spot. When I left at around 1030 my car was gone, and the rest is history.

Funny too the idiots at Cac are either too dumb or just cant read the time, my receipt says the car was picked up at 16:19:50 (4:19pm)... which is odd as I didn't leave home until about 5:45pm. Car delivery time was 20:10 (8:10pm), so I'd love to know where my car was for almost 4 hours?

One last thing, while I don't think I'm going to dispute the charge (doesn't seem like anyone has had a win yet), I do have an idea that will help me feel better about the money spent. Will require probably 2-3 helpers though and is borderline immature...

Cheers

YvonneS

19 October 2016
Joining the club! My scooter (not even a car) was on the tray yesterday . I parked in the incorrect spot behind the valley post office - thinking that all car parks were for post office customers. I choose the smallest one and put my scooter all the way up the parking spot so that there would be space for a car to park as well.

Dropped off a letter - returned to find my scooter in the process of going on the tray. He must have been monitoring the spot as I was literally in and out within 5 mins. The driver charged me $550 to get my scooter off. I asked who had contacted him to tow my scooter and he said "no one" he just drives past and if he finds an illegally parked vehicle he tows it.

I then asked him for the contact details of the car park owner so that I could speak to them directly. He refused to provide them as well. I had no choice but to hand over my credit card for payment.

Yes, I parked in the wrong spot but I don't think charging 550$ to lower the tray once is justifiable.

I don't think I will get my money back - in the end it's just money - will have to eat minute noddles until my next payearoll, but I am filing a complaint with the office of fair trading as this is wrong on so many levels. I'd really like to see some kind of schedule of rates that gives this company permission to charge the full amount even though the vehicle wasn't even towed anywhere.

Happy14

19 October 2016
Joining the club! My scooter (not even a car) was on the tray yesterday . I parked in the incorrect spot behind the valley post office - thinking that all car parks were for post office customers. I choose the smallest one and put my scooter all the way up the parking spot so that there would be space for a car to park as well.

Dropped off a letter - returned to find my scooter in the process of going on the tray. He must have been monitoring the spot as I was literally in and out within 5 mins. The driver charged me $550 to get my scooter off. I asked who had contacted him to tow my scooter and he said "no one" he just drives past and if he finds an illegally parked vehicle he tows it.

I then asked him for the contact details of the car park owner so that I could speak to them directly. He refused to provide them as well. I had no choice but to hand over my credit card for payment.

Yes, I parked in the wrong spot but I don't think charging 550$ to lower the tray once is justifiable.

I don't think I will get my money back - in the end it's just money - will have to eat minute noddles until my next payearoll, but I am filing a complaint with the office of fair trading as this is wrong on so many levels. I'd really like to see some kind of schedule of rates that gives this company permission to charge the full amount even though the vehicle wasn't even towed anywhere.

I got the same spot, thought it was all the one shopping complex. The owner is the kwik e mart apparently. Must be a very sad mean spirited soul who has beef with the Australia Post owner whose customers still use the former, all included government owned Australia Post car park.

It is stand over, overpriced and very un-Australian but that seems to be the way nowadays. Bring back care, a fair-go, Aussie know-how, stickup for mates,stuff the businesses and common sense I say. Workers who overcharge workers suck.

Reactions: YvonneS

YvonneS

19 October 2016
I got same spot, thought it was all the one shopping complex. The owner is the kwik e mart apparently. Must be a very sad mean spirited soul who has beef with Australia Post owner whose customers still use the former all included government owned Australia Post carpark. It is standover, overpriced and very un-Australian but that seems to be the way nowadays. Bring back care, a fair-go, Aussie know-how, stickup for mates,stuff the businesses and common sense I say. Workers who overcharge workers suck.

I am sorry it happened to you, too, Harry! I went into the kwik e mart to voice my frustration - the lady behind the counter just said that despite working there, she even wasn't allowed to park in that spot. T

his whole thing is a scam! Should be illegal to monitor parking spots and tow anyone who mistakenly puts their vehicle there for 5 minutes. Karma will bite those people in the ass - I am sure.

All the best!

JohnnyChristo

20 October 2016
I agree totally.

Which laws are these people governed by? Not State, according to my local member. Shire Council or Commonwealth maybe? Can anyone tow away your car then demand $1000 for release to you from a locked fenced yard?

I am looking for a new job now - that type of work looks like easy money. All you need is a tow truck and mobile signs that read "Tow Away Area".
And no sense of decency maybe good job for a bailiff or some other low life that has no better pleasure than to go daily to work to give everyone a hard time.

JohnnyChristo

20 October 2016
Love reading all these post on towing from car parks or private properties. As a tow truck driver for 20 years I can give a bit of insight to this. Not defending these towers as I get 15 to 25 phone calls per week from people looking for their cars. So I have head it all.

The best example of a parking problem was Chermside shopping center. People were parking there all day and catching them into the city, and no car parks for shoppers.

The big problem with this is not the towing companies but the property owners. They pay big money for car parks. If the car parks are full with all the time, their tenants will move out.

e.g. If some one parked a car in your driveway at home and walked away. Blocking your car in, so you can't get out . How would you feel?

This is the catch 22 on this subject. Condition of entry notice.

At the entrance to a shop or shopping center or pub or bar, you will see a Condition of Entry Notice. Once you enter a property that has displayed condition of entry notice, you accepted all conditions to be there at that time.

What dose this mean you say? Condition of entry notice means you have entered a private property and the property owner has made rules for that property. And this is why the police will not act on these towers under the criminal code.
I, for one, will be parking at the above places and warning people every chance I get. Not to stop illegal parking but to shoot a hole in your scam.

muz28

20 May 2016

This case would be fodder for ACA; They love these sorts of hard luck stories.

This is one of the worst example of this type of behaviour I have ever heard. Yes the vultures can tow your mobility scooter (mind you this behaviour is nothing short of extremely detestable) but under distress damage feasant, they have no right to continue the siezure as there is risk of a risk of the breach of the peace when this is done in the presence of the owner and they must release it immediately.

Also legally the towies cannot charge a "release" fee. Once you turn up, your car/scooter is yours and they have no rights to take it or hold it to ransom. In practice though, if it's late at night, raining and cold, and the towie is a big fat ugly tattooed bloke in a hurry to go back to his depot ... most people pay up just to get their car back.

Complain to Fair Trading that there was no loss, and therefore the towing was completely unjustified. Ask them to state what the loss was to the landholder was. They will normally give you the towing costs etc. However, that is not what you want to know. What you want to know is what loss did they incur by you being in the car park for 5mins. Generally, there will probably be no loss. Here the mere presence of the trespassing scooter on the property (a technical trespass) may not be a sufficient grounds for relying on distress damage feasant.

The intrinsic nature of distress is seizure of a chattel as security for damage which has been or is being done. The timing is all important. It should not be possible for an owner to point to the cost of seizing the chattel and say, "look, this is my sole cost to me in organising the towies, and that is my damage justifying the seizure". With this, think back to the medieval cow paddock and the distress application then.

If landowners need to protect the carparks, what's the problem in using removable bollards or using boom gates, etc? The issue is there is no incentive the way things appear at the moment in Qld, to force a change is this deplorable behaviour.

Holly Hohn

25 October 2016
I will happily join you should you wish to proceed

I will join the joint civil action. I got done yesterday at Night Owl car park on Brunswick Street. There is road works going all along Brunswick street. I wanted to go to the BOQ bank. The closest parking was two blocks away at the night owl due to the road works. Apparently, as soon as I walked away from the car it was towed.

I am having surgery tomorrow. My private medical records were in the car which I didn't have for for my appointment. I'm having surgery tomorrow and can't drive for 4-6 weeks so feel like leaving my car there with the robbers. Funny how I got a text from them at 5.30 wondering why I hadn't gone to get my car.

One post said to withdraw $550 in 5 cent pieces and count it out to them. Think I will do that.

Is there anyway I can dispute this ridiculous $550 fine. I only went to bank to deposit a cheque. Who the hell gives cheques in this day and age?