QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

M Livingstone

30 October 2016
Are you referring to that Turkish Guy from Brissy Towing is subscribed to this thread? I suspect there may be a link between him and those dodgy Turkish guys who sold me the car in the first place because it had no plates on it. Maybe the car I am driving was actually one of the cars that they towed but never got picked up from the yard.

The guy would not look at me when speaking. He was very dishonest and impatient and nervouse so I had to get my mechanic to check over the car and bring the dealer plate so I could drive it. They had a number of cars without plates parked on the street.

He claimed to live in the up Market units but the car was parked right outside the old older houses and a number of Arabs were walking around there when I tried to register the car. It was already registered till July next year.

Who would sell a car without plates on it that was still currently registered for 9 months unless the car was somehow unlawfully acquired?

JohnnyChristo

20 October 2016
Are you referring to that Turkish Guy from Brissy Towing is subscribed to this thread? I suspect there may be a link between him and those dodgy Turkish guys who sold me the car in the first place because it had no plates on it maybe the car I am driving was actually one of the cars that they towed but never got picked up from the yard the guy would not look at me when speaking he was very dishonest and impatient nervouse so I had to get my mechanic to check over the car and bring the dealer plate so I could drive it they had a number of cars without plates parked on the street he claimed to live in the up Market units but the car was parked right outside the old Qlder house and a number of Arabs where walking around there when I tried to register it the car it was already registered till July next year, who would sell a car without plates on it that was still currently registered for 9 months unless the car was somehow unlawfully acquired
Sounds dubious

M Livingstone

30 October 2016
There were a number of other cars around that side of town that I was looking at the same price and it was the same thing, all Arab salesmen and no plates on the cars.

illy2000

29 November 2016
The same thing happened to me, it was in-front of an empty office block that was for lease with no warning signage at all. The company was Cactus Towing in Kedron, Brisbane.

I got charged the full 660 (apparently an extra 110 slammed on top because it was after hours at 5:40 pm). He further tried to refuse entry to the car with were the licence and credit card was stored and said i wasn't allowed to do anything as it was 'private property' (even though it is a business for which i was invited into prior).

I'm fairly well versed in a number of legal matters and am in the process of getting further legal advice. I'm not familiar with any of the Tow Truck Acts and Regulations of Queensland however as a private operators they apparently don't fall under these rules (legal loops holes are fantastic).

Saying that, they did breach a number of other QLD Fair Trade issues according to a solicitor and I have been in contact with the owners of the private property (something I would suggest you do) and discussed the situation with them as they were unaware that this was happening. Without the approval of the property owners and verification of all documentation from the towing company prior to the tow I do know that they can be caught on a breach of the Tow Truck Acts and Regulation (you will have to check this with your state legislation). If it helps, I will find out more about this as the legal proceedings begin but I do have a lot of evidence on the matter (voice recording of the whole fiasco, photographs of 'signage' and their terms and condition, the truck they used to tow, damage to the vehicle - if any, the towing licence information, etc... All of which I accumulated while invited onto their place of business i.e. not private property at the time).

I will say on a more personal note that I would never go to these sort of extremes over a mere 660, however I did try and discuss with the tow truck driver [Moderator redacted personal name - Community Guidelines] about the issue and as a smaller female he became very very aggressive and threatening (once I was locked into his premises) and I even had to pocket dial 000 as I was very scared for my safety. This will be a completely different legal proceeding as my evidence supports the harassment and is a police issue rather than a state legislative one.

These sort of companies are just so horrible and out of place in Australia and it is such an obvious hustle and shake down run by thugs who use bully tactics to scare away any potential consequences. This is definitely one loops hole I will be lobbying to government as vehemently as I can to close.

I hope if anyone else has to deal with these people, please be prepared.

I just read your post and had a similarly horrible experience with Cactus Towing today. I went into a business in Bowen Hills (Brookes St) that had a small private car park. There are about four small businesses all in a little walled complex.

I did see a sign that said "Authorised parking only whilst on premise all other vehicles will be towed away." It didn't mention any specific business name. Given I was going to a business within the centre, I thought there was no issue. Imagine when I look outside 10 minutes later to see my car on the back of a tow truck.

The driver was awful and said he didn't know who had called him and didn't care that I said I had two little kids to pick up from school. With that he towed my car away right in front of me despite me saying I would go inside and get my credit card to pay him.

I found out the business (a solar business at 32 Brookes St) had called the tow truck company as the spot I parked in (right near the business I was going into) was for his customers only. I explained that I didn't know this and thought it was acceptable to park there, because the sign didn't state his specific business name and I was 'authorised' as I was shopping in the centre. Like the tow truck driver, he didn't care less.

I then had to make my way to Cactus Towing where I was verbally abused when I told them I would contact a lawyer about this and physical intimidated and stood over by a very large doggy looking guy. (I'm a small female) He then said 'good luck with a lawyer- they can't touch us.'

I was wondering if you had any luck? I've contacted the Office of Fair Trading that said because it was a private car park the owner can do as he likes. This sounds odd as by this standard he could spray paint and vandalise any car that parks in his car park.

I'm contacting a lawyer tomorrow to get some further civil advice. The $550 isn't the issue- it's the fact I feel robbed and was made to feel very intimidated.

illy2000

29 November 2016
Hayden, please see my comments posted today.
Hi Hayden,

Just wondering if this went any further? I had an awful experience with who I expect are the same towers and would definitely be interested in taking this further. I'm also a PR Director and considering going to the Courier Mail about this. (I took several photos)

illy2000

29 November 2016
Gemma, this happened to me on Friday night. I had a similar experience with these underhanded characters. I saved two 18-year-old from having their cars towed and then the truck drivers wouldn't give me my car back for "interfering" with their business. Could you please let me know how you ended up going? Was it cactus towing?
Oh my goodness- mine was Cactus towing as well!

Reactions: Obbe17

illy2000

29 November 2016
Hi John,

I just read your post and feel compelled to contact you as I had a horrible experience with Cactus Towing today. I went into a business in Bowen Hills (Brookes St) that had a small private car park. There are about four small businesses all in a little walled complex. I did see a sign that said "Authorised parking only whilst on premise all other vehicles will be towed away." It didn't mention any specific business name.

Given I was going to a business within the centre, I thought there was no issue. Imagine when I look outside 10 minutes later to see my car on the back of a tow truck. The driver was awful and said he didn't know who had called him and didn't care that I said I had two little kids to pick up from school. With that he towed my car away right in front of me despite me saying I would go inside and get my credit card to pay him.

I found out the business had called the tow truck company as the spot I parked in (right near the business I was going into) was for his customers only. I explained that I didn't know this and thought it was acceptable to park there, because the sign didn't state his specific business name and I was 'authorised' as I was shopping in the centre. Like the tow truck driver, he didn't care less.

I then had to make my way to Cactus Towing to retrieve my car where I was verbally abused when I told them I would contact a lawyer about this and physical intimidated and stood over by a very large man. The Office of Fair Trading that said because it was a private car park the owner can do as he likes. This sounds odd as by this standard he could spray paint and vandalise any car that parks in his car park.

I'm contacting a lawyer tomorrow to get some further civil advice. The $550 isn't the issue- it's the fact I feel robbed and was made to feel very intimidated. I was wondering if you had any luck and know the details of a good lawyer?

I'm a former journalist and now run my own PR agency and am now considering contacting media about this after reading all the other threads about this company.

Reactions: Obbe17

frederick

2 December 2016
Is it against the law to tow vehicle away with the owner still in it (refusing to pay $550, getting into the car before it is hooked up).

JohnnyChristo

20 October 2016
Is it against the law to tow vehicle away with the owner still in it (refusing to pay $550, getting into the car Before it is hooked up).
You can't be towed while you're still in it.

A) that's illegal
B) it's not parked till you have left the vehicle.