QLD Car Towed - Paid to Get It Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

scottbmcg

30 July 2016
Same story as the others - parked in a big open carpark late at night on Cordelia Street. Went back to find the car gone. Apparently, the towers work with a company called 'Get Parked' which has management over a bunch of carparks across central Brisbane so these Get Parked guys go around, report cars parking in areas, and the towers go in and grab them. Such an awful business model.

Yes, there were signs saying it was a 24/7 tow away zone but there are literally 40 - 50 car spaces, and only 1 or 2 occupied. The only businesses that would use these operate during the day - not at 9.30pm at night when mine was towed. Just a money making venture and $550 is extortionate. Would be keen if any action can be taken to be part of a suit.

Reactions: Gutted and Scrooge

Aaron.4343

31 July 2016
Today, my car was also towed from the valley in the car park leased by Cactus towing. The fine was also $660.00.

My opinion is that what they are doing is completly unethical and has to be breaking some law.
I urge anyone that has a legal experiance to inform the forum contributors to help take a moral stand and protect the people from these bullys.

Reactions: Scrooge

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Today, my car was also towed from the valley in the car park leased by Cactus towing. The fine was also $660.00.

My opinion is that what they are doing is completly unethical and has to be breaking some law.
I urge anyone that has a legal experiance to inform the forum contributors to help take a moral stand and protect the people from these bullys.

Agreed, Aaron. I've continued to watch this thread even though I live in Adelaide. I can certainly see vehicle theft, extortion and demanding money with menaces, for a start. Surely the police could do something rather than wave people away saying it's a civil matter.

Reactions: Scrooge

parker

12 July 2016
Hi again new members, if you have an interest in pursuing this there was a post way back on page 8, but haven't heard much of anything since (let us know how you go):

Ok to everyone affected, I cannot disclose any form of contact details or identifying details, however, there's facebook page titled "Cactus Towing" in which things can be discussed with identifying detail. Cactus Towing

Please if you have been affected please visit the page.

Agreed, Aaron. I've continued to watch this thread even though I live in Adelaide. I can certainly see vehicle theft, extortion and demanding money with menaces, for a start. Surely the police could do something rather than wave people away saying it's a civil matter.

Unfortunately it's not theft, as those of us towed were parked on private property.

In fact the first thing they do is notify the police with your registration and vehicle details, so when you front up to the station to report your vehicle stolen they can send you on your way and give you the news that what's occurred is legal... (Ethical? No...)

parker

12 July 2016
And I should say in spite of my comments above - Scott and Aaron I am very sorry you were towed, I do understand how you feel :(

Reactions: Gutted

DMQC

29 June 2016
A few tips for those interested in gathering up evidence to support their claims -

1. Parking signage has very specific requirements insofar as design and font etc. I suggest to have a look to see if signage where you were towed complies with the regulations.
  2. The car could only be towed if it was considered abandoned or an obstruction - an inconvenience does not count as an obstruction.
  3. The towing company has to right to hold a vehicle "ransom" until you pay their fees. They have a right to pursue you for a debt if you refuse to pay, that's all.

Help above is general in nature and not to be considered applicable in all States - I'm in WA, so it applies here but I had a quick look and believe it applies in all other states and territories too.

muz28

20 May 2016
Saw this in the Gold Coast Bulletin from July 2016. Chris Garlick, a barrister, said he was considering a class action with the owners of five cars that were towed while parked at a Mudgeeraba shop earlier this year. We all here would like this case to proceed and put an end to the towies extortionate demands. No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin

Gutted

15 July 2016
Thanks for posting the article.

It would be really great if it did go to court and a precedence was set that was in our favour. Interesting, maybe the barrister should talk to the people who were charged $550-$660 as in this article I think they were "only" charged $330.

As for my own personal story, I haven't yet given up trying to do something about my towing charge but I have got nowhere fast despite ringing, writing and personally going in to see management of a big international company. They assured me that they would look into it for me and would contact me. I keep chasing them up but so far I have got a big diddly squat reply which I think is what they are counting on for people just to forget about it and get busy with their lives.

Ben Steindl

14 August 2016
Another victim here.

I stopped at Ben's Burgers at Winn Street to grab a burger and came back 15 minutes later to an empty car park with black tyeare marks from being dragged on the flat bed. I knew it was a no parking area, but I figured with none of the businesses being open as it was Sunday and the fact we would only be gone 15 minutes I thought it would be ok.

I accept being in the wrong, but $660 to tow 3.12 kms is crazy ( I know it was this far because of the uber I had to take to get there).

My friend recently got a quote to deliver a car from Sydney to Brisbane, it was $580. I told the tow place this, they said, oh yeah but wear and tear on the trucks etc. Tax office will refund 50 cents per km for wear and tear, this place charges $220 per km. Like I said, my fault I parked there, but $110 might be reasonable, not $660.

James Tyson

6 March 2016
Could you let me know what towing company do the Brisbane to Sydney trip? I've got my mum's merc that needs to go back to Sydney to get a warranty problem fixed.