Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Car Registration in My Name but in Ex Partner's Possession

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Rachael Hobbs, 13 March 2015.

  1. Rachael Hobbs

    Rachael Hobbs Member

    13 March 2015
    Likes Received:
    I have broken up with my partner and he has my car, the car registration is in my name, I have contacted him several times and he will not give me my car. What action can I take to retrieve my car?
  2. Tracy B

    Tracy B Well-Known Member

    24 December 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Rachael,

    If the car belongs to you, you should write a letter of demand to your ex partner. Formally request the car be returned to you within [14] days otherwise you may seek immediate legal action without further notification. If he does not comply, you can then initiate action for recovery with court.
  3. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    If you are the sole owner of the vehicle and your ex is illegally holding it, you can contact the police. If the police agree it is a criminal matter they will retrieve your property. Otherwise, you will have to pursue a civil cause of action to recover it. However, even if its not a criminal matter you can ask the police the come with you to collect the vehicle - although they cannot intervene to get your property back.

    How long were you and your ex together? If you could be considered de facto partners then this may be an issue the family court can deal with. Do you have any other joint property that you need to divide? Or is that already resolved - apart from the car.

Share This Page