NSW Transfer of Car Rego when Ex is unwilling

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MLT

23 May 2022
Hi there,

My ex and I separated almost 3 years ago.
We had a large sum of money in our joint account, household items, and two cars (his car and the family car).
The family car was purchased during our relationship, as was his car.
When we separated he took most of the cash we had in our joint account, around half of the household assets, and his car.
But, he also wanted the family car.
I refused to give it to him.
I engaged a lawyer to try have some more of our joint money returned and also have the car transferred to me- he ignored my lawyers letters for a while then engaged a lawyer who sent one threatening email.
That was the last I heard fro him (or his lawyer)and this was about two years ago.
I have had the car for the three years we have been separated and paid the rego, CTP, comprehensive insurance, maintenance, and servicing fees for the car.
I have been solely responsible for the car- including financially, and it has been in my possession the whole time.
But, it is still registered in his name.
I am no longer in contact with him and I want the car transferred to my name.

Can I legally transfer the car registration to my name?

Thank you!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Can I legally transfer the car registration to my name?
Regrettably, without either consent, or a (Family) Court Order as to marital property, almost certainly not.