WA Partner's Ex Refusing to Transfer Car Registration -What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah23

13 July 2016
My partner has paid 100% of the car loan off and the insurance is in her name but her ex won't transfer the car registration over! Help!

Jack be nimble

3 October 2017
There's a fair bit missing in that story and why it would be in his name. Does 'ex' mean 'ex husband' or 'ex boyfriend' . You
have in fact given him title to the car. What happened was quite foreseeable. Why were you silly enough to do such a
thing?...did you intend it to be his? I'd say 'yes' or you would not have had the car in his name...or you let him use it but didn't
want the fines to come to you because you knew the kind of character he is.

Do you want to recover it?.or do you have it? and he will not transfer....Possession is one of the critical facts you left out.

I guess what you do depends on car value and who's name is on the payment receipts. If paid off it may well be several years old
and not worth the trouble anyway.

Some suggestions, take caveat over the car if a solicitor advises you can.. If he has left the car with you let the rego expire, hand
in the plates and later apply for registration as his wife, (if you are) or make a stat-dec that you own the car and paid for it but it
was abandoned when your husband abandoned you (or conversely) . . It may work.

If he has possession do you have keys? Could you drive from where he parks it or have it towed away to a safe place even locked
in your own garage and take a risk that a magistrate would see it your way. If you leave it un-driven in a garage you may have a
defence against 'conversion' Having possession is a pretty strong position.

If you have the insurance in your name you might ask the assurer who gets the benefit if he writes the car off? If you want to
cancel the insurance or not renew it, do so but I'd advise him.