NSW Can police records be corrected?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


24 April 2021
The police have referenced me as a person of interest in regard to a local neighbourhood dispute. It was unrelated to me and the result of a malicious claim by a neighbour. I'm able to show it isn't true. However the police refuse to remove the record from my file on the basis it expressed the professional opinion of the police at the time during their investigation, is therefore considered correct and legally cannot be removed (their words).

Basically it's ruined my life as everytime anything happens locally the police visit me first. They then list me as a person of interest and it stays even when the real person is caught. I've been ostracised by the local community because they think I'm some sort of criminal.

Is it really stuck in my file for the rest of my life? How can I get it removed?