NSW Criminal Record - What Happens Once Good Behaviour Bond Expires?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jennier98

7 December 2018
I was charged with larceny by a clerk for attempted theft and was given a section 9b good behaviour bond for 2 years (since 2018 and have no previous record). Will it be removed from my criminal record once the bond is finished? Or does it take 10 years or so for it to be removed? (According to my internet search not too sure) Or does it show up only in a police check or a national police check?

I'm really worried as this mistake might cost me my whole life.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I was charged with larceny by a clerk for attempted theft and was given a section 9b good behaviour bond for 2 years (since 2018 and have no previous record). Will it be removed from my criminal record once the bond is finished? Or does it take 10 years or so for it to be removed? (According to my internet search not too sure) Or does it show up only in a police check or a national police check?

I'm really worried as this mistake might cost me my whole life.

As my understanding, the record will be stay for ever, but only visible to law agencies only (police etc...), but once a company/person does a criminal check on your record it will not show. It will be visible for law enforcement for your history record only. So if you get in trouble in future, the court will take it into consideration, this is my understanding and I'm sure some will correct me if I'm wrong.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
With a bond, how long the conviction shows on your criminal history depends on whether or not a conviction was recorded by the court. If a bond is issued with a conviction recorded, then it will show on your record for 10 years as normal. If no conviction was recorded, it will only show on your record for the duration of the bond, provided you don't breach the bond.