Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
A refugee, generally speaking, is a displaced person who has been forced to cross national boundaries and who cannot return home safely (for more detail see legal definition). Such a person may be called an asylum seeker until granted refugee status by the contracting state or the UNHCR if they formally make a claim for asylum.
The lead international agency coordinating refugee protection is the United Nations Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The United Nations have a second Office for refugees, which is the UNRWA. This however is solely responsible for supporting Palestinian refugees.

View More On
  1. Aisha01

    VIC Can I apply for Spouse Visa? Please help!

    I want to apply for a Spouse Visa for Australia. I am in Pakistan currently. There are two problems: one, my partner is currently on a student visa and also holds an inactive bridging visa A as he had applied for Protection Visa 866 and is waiting for its decision, so that means he isn't a...