WA Bet365 Asking for Passport and Birth Certificate - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tburns88

22 July 2015
Last week, I signed up with Bet365 in my name. I then wanted to deposit $50 into the betting account. I did not have my card with me so I used my fiancee's card instead, we have joint accounts. To do this, we had to change the name on the Bet365 account from mine to hers.

Now Bet365 did not want any ID to take our money from my fiancee's account. They sent us an email to verify the Bet365 account. We rang them up and this is where the problem begins. Changing the account from my name to my fiancee's name, I did not change the date of birth. My fault, I know but to sort this out, they wanted my fiancee's licence emailed to them. We did so and they came back with the date of birth's are different (already explained this to them over the phone previously). They now want a birth certificate and passport.

Now our problem is, they didn't want any ID for the first transaction but to give our money back into the same account they first accept the funds from, they want every bit of ID we have to return funds.

What do we do as we don't feel comfortable doing so? They now have her licence and bank account details which I thought was 100 points of ID anyway.

A quick search on the net shows that this is a big problem for a lot of people with Bet365.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What do we do as we don't feel comfortable doing so?
It's fifty dollars - you would have lost it gambling anyway.
Write it off, give up online gambling, and move on with life.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
so what if it was $1000 $2000.... they have taken my money but wont give it back.
But it isn't. It's fifty.
And they didn't take it, you gave it to them.

What would happen to the money if you just closed the account?

Either way, don't blame them - this problem is all of your own making.

tburns88

22 July 2015
i know its my fault. however, they did not need ID from me to, open the account, change the name of the account, to accept my money or for me to close the account but for them to transfer what is still my money back to the same bank account, they want every bit of ID i have after giving them security pins and passwords for the betting account. i understand its my fault and to be honest i dont care about the money, its about the principle. my problem with giving them all my ID is that not only does it seem highly unnecessary but when would you ever have to hand over three of the biggest forms of ID to hold what is still your money.
thanks for the replies as well