TAS Name Change by Deed Poll?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

kzanchetta

3 December 2014
My husband is 57 and had Italian parents. When he was born they didn't speak English all that well and would have got someone to fill out any paperwork for them.

He recently applied for a passport and found that his birth certificate has a female version of his name. While he is ok with his passport having his birth certificate name, we are not sure of the results of not changing his name.

Down the track would this cause problems with wills etc that have already been put in place as we have been married for 23 years and this hasn't been picked up before. If he does change his name by deed poll, what else becomes null and void?

S

Sophea

Hi Kzanchetta,

Before looking at changing his name via Deed Poll, I would contact the Tasmanian registry of births, deaths and marriages and see if they can simply correct the birth certificate.

The registry of BDM, can amend spelling mistakes or incorrect information if relevant documentary evidence is provided to show the correct details. You may incur an amendment fee, however if the error was made by the Registry no fee will be charged.

kzanchetta

3 December 2014
Hi Kzanchetta,

Before looking at changing his name via Deed Poll, I would contact the Tasmanian registry of births, deaths and marriages and see if they can simply correct the birth certificate.

The registry of BDM, can amend spelling mistakes or incorrect information if relevant documentary evidence is provided to show the correct details. You may incur an amendment fee, however if the error was made by the Registry no fee will be charged.
Thanks I'll try that.