VIC Agent Threatening to Withhold Permanent Residency Application - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Esther

29 January 2016
Hi,

I'm a foreign citizen trying to get Permanent Residency in Australia but my agent who's working for me is lagging a lot with my applications and charged me an extra $1000 than the amount we agreed on, saying my application needs more documents which make it complicated, but I'm the one arranging all the documents, so there's no complication for my agent. Now she is threatening she wouldn't lodge my application unless I pay the whole amount, including the extra $1000.

I'm a single mother and can't afford to make the money this soon and the agent wouldn't even give me an extension and the application lodging date is due soon. I don't know what to do. Unless my agent lodges it before the due date, all my struggles are going to become nothing, And all the money I paid my agent will go to nothing. And I will probably become homeless.

Help!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is your agent located in Australia?

If yes, there may be a course of action, however, much depends on the initial agreement. Probably need to take it to a solicitor for comment.