VIC Permanent Residency - What Does 'Must not Arrive After' Mean?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ym5

27 February 2018
Hi, I have a permanent residency visa through marriage, which was granted in 2013. That visa was called 'Partner (Migrant) (Class BC) Partner (Subclass 100)' back them, but when I checked my visa status online recently to change my passport details, my visa type now says 'permanent resident'. So I guess that's what I have now.

Below are the details from Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) (dates are masked for privacy). 'Must not arrive after' date is last month this year. Did I have to renew my visa?? What do I have to do?

I'm a bit panicked. Thank you for your help in advance.

------------------------------
Visa description -> RESIDENT
Visa class / subclass -> BC / 100
Visa applicant -> Primary
Visa grant date -> xxx January 2013
Location -> Onshore
Visa status -> In Effect
Entries allowed -> Multiple entries to and from Australia during the validity of your visa
Must not arrive after -> xxx January 2018
Enter before date -> xxx June 2013
Period of stay -> Indefinite
Visa type -> Permanent resident

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Once you have a permanent visa, you have to come to arrive to Australia to validate the visa (some call it "Landing" - informal), so once you do the Landing, then the visa will be effective for certain number of years (when I came and became a PR it was 5 years).

If you don't arrive before the date mentioned, then you will need to renew your visa though the embassy /councilor at your country. You will not be able to enter Australia after the date on the visa, this is what is meant "Must not arrive after".

So it is worth going for a week holiday in Australia before that date if you are interested in keeping the PR.

This is from my understanding when I did the PR visa, it may have changed by now.

Reactions: ym5

ym5

27 February 2018
Thank you Adam1user. I've been in Australia most of the time the past 5 years, even the time when my visa was granted. I've been checking around and it looks like I have to renew my visa if I want to go out of Australia past this 'must not arrive' date and come back. I did that the other day and it was granted in a matter of minutes :)