Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Will I Go to Jail for Larceny and Shoplifting?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by sydgonehope, 5 July 2016.

1. sydgonehope

sydgonehope Member

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago, I had the stupidest idea ever and I went into a store and I shoplifted a shirt worth 29 dollars. I got caught by the police and got charged with 3 different offences:, 1st larceny, 2nd possession of stolen goods, 3rd given false name.

Now I have never been to court, it's my first time. I don't have a lawyer so I am going to be by myself there. Do you think I could go to jail for the offences? Should I consider getting a lawyer?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

In NSW, a court may impose prison sentences, home detention, intensive correction, suspended sentence, community service, good behaviour bond, a fine or a s10 dismissal - if you are convicted or larceny. If the matter is dealt with by the local court, penalties depend on the value of the property stolen -- for property worth less than $2,000 the max penalty is 2 years imprisonment.

Therefore imprisonment is a possibility. You have no priors which is a good thing, but the circumstances of your arrest (giving a false name) are not favourable to your prospects. I would get a lawyer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...