NSW Will I Go to Jail for Larceny and Shoplifting?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sydgonehope

5 July 2016
Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago, I had the stupidest idea ever and I went into a store and I shoplifted a shirt worth 29 dollars. I got caught by the police and got charged with 3 different offences:, 1st larceny, 2nd possession of stolen goods, 3rd given false name.

Now I have never been to court, it's my first time. I don't have a lawyer so I am going to be by myself there. Do you think I could go to jail for the offences? Should I consider getting a lawyer?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
In NSW, a court may impose prison sentences, home detention, intensive correction, suspended sentence, community service, good behaviour bond, a fine or a s10 dismissal - if you are convicted or larceny. If the matter is dealt with by the local court, penalties depend on the value of the property stolen -- for property worth less than $2,000 the max penalty is 2 years imprisonment.

Therefore imprisonment is a possibility. You have no priors which is a good thing, but the circumstances of your arrest (giving a false name) are not favourable to your prospects. I would get a lawyer.